banks big head - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
banks big head

I purchased a 7.3 a couple years ago that already had some mods on it and I am learning as I go what is all there and I am relatively new to the diesel world. The truck had a banks big head installed on it and I has seen people talking in here about the fooler and taking the red hose off the waste gate and plug . my question is my truck and a banks big head waste gate, would this be something I can do and would it do anything for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Removing and plugging the red line might give you a little more boost. However you will most likely not feel a difference unless something is wrong or the big head is not adjusted properly.
You do not need a boost fooler unless you are having overboost and your tunes do not compensate.

Do you have guages and a chip too? If so what kind of chip or tuner do you have? How much boost are you seeing, etc
Old 06-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 99 7.3 with what I am told is a 80 hp super chip by the idiot at the dealership I bought it from and was told that they put had a programmer that the original owner kept and was supposed to have flashed a tune in but I am not sure what it is have not had the money to buy a programmer yet but when I do I am looking to get and sct I think not really sure yet have been looking to tunners a little and don't know a lot about them yet I do have a boost, egt, and engine oil temp gauge(don't ask not sure why on the engine oil gauge). I need to get a tranny temp gauge also. I am getting 22 lbs boost with the red hose hooked up. I did pull the hose and plug it and I am getting up to 28 or 29 lbs of boost and it is getting better boost at lower rpm's which I am very happy about towing should be a little beter or so I hope. Please if you have anymore advise for me bring it on
thanks
Old 06-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

oh yeah 4" turbo back strait pipe and I believe it has a different turbo wheel in it did not look stock when I changed glow plugs last winter
Old 06-27-2013, 06:51 PM

Boost sounds about right.
I personally recommend a ts style chip. I like php but beans, gearhead and tony wildman are also good.
You will be amazed at how much better 80hp is from a good ts style chip, it'll blow away what you have now and it will bebetter on your truck itself
Old 06-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the info like I say u am just starting to do stuff to the truck myself and I am not sure what was not all done and the bone head at the dealer has no idea what he was talking about when it comes to vehicles. hopefully in a year I will have the truck running the way I want thank you
Old 06-27-2013, 07:08 PM

No problem. There is a wealth of information around the various forums and many knowledgeable people that can help you get to where you want to be.

Its easier to take baby steps anyway, that way you get to know your truck first. Do plenty of research and start with the cheap or free stuff first
Old 06-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I like cheep and free and the wife likes it even more lol I have had the truck two years and just want a little more out of it not looking to go to wild not like I am going to start hooking it to a sled but I want the power when I need or when I want it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.