Turbo or injectors? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo or injectors?

what would you guys do, Upgraded garret 38rturbo or stage one injectors and which would give you the better power?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Premium Member

Great question.

I plan on turbo before injectors. Stock sticks can supply more fuel than the stock turbo can feed. It makes the decision easy for me. No matter what you do, you'll need custom tunes to fit. You HAVE to get custom tunes for single shot injectors, so be sure to add that to your budget. Tunes aren't needed for a new turbo, but, if you are going well outside the factory specs, your performance will suffer, so plan for new tunes.

I smart and/or rich man would plan and save for both at once, that way you only need to pay for custom tunes once. I'm neither, so I go for easiest first. I can change driving habits for a turbo. I can't go to the store with single shots.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

that's kinda what I figured and ordered the turbo, got a hydra chip from PSP ,with coldair intake beefed up trans with john wood valve body and a insight for gauges,should run good with turbo.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

Meh, what I plan and what's right don't always equal. Before you install the new turbo, wait for a few other folks to chime in that know better than I. I am simply planning with what I've experienced.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd go injectors first.. Unless you're set on stage 1's I'd go with stage 2's.. you can have them tuned for most potential of your stock turbo without burning it up.. Then someday if you feel like upgrading the turbo you'll have enough fuel. You'll have better low end response and torque.

With the correct housing the 38r will be better all the way around.. spooling, boost, etc. But with the wrong housing it will be laggy, Even with your oem injectors maxed you won't have reached the full potential of the 38r.

Someone should chime in with a little more personal experience with both.
I'm planning on running Stage 3 250/200's for about a year before i can afford an H2e so this is just my two cents..
Old 06-22-2013, 07:59 PM

Macon has a good point, you have to include the tunes with injectors, not to mention gauges.

If you're planning on only one or the other the turbo should be chosen..
If you're trying to add one part a year like I am then you can run detuned injectors until you can afford a turbo without adverse results.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:18 PM

Should have went with injectors first, but both would be the best option if possible.
Stock injectors with bigger turbo, you will most likely not see much gain.
However if you just do injectors and get your custom tunes, they will need to be refined for the new turbo as well. Its like a catch22. This is exactly why I did injectors and turbo at the same time. However in my case, I still need fine tuning and had 3 revisions on my tunes to get where I am at now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.