6 POS tuner vs Custom Tune - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 06:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6 POS tuner vs Custom Tune

so right now my truck has a custom tune on it. the previous owner took it to a local shop, who then put it on a dyno and tuned it. well im currently working with my buddy on upgrades and im looking to get around 450hp. he gave me a list the other day and on the list was a TS 6 POS tuner. he said he liked it because you can dial the power, and i agree that is nice, but if im not mistaken, the truck has to be off for that, right? also, this truck isnt a daily driver, i have a ranger and a motorcylce for that. but it will be pulling my bass boat on trip that could be up to 3 hours long, and i will drive it around every now and then because, well i like to drive it . so do you think itd be better to go with the 6 POS or just take the truck back to the shop and have it dyno'd again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Premium Member

Just putting it on a dyno does nothing but give you numbers. If the shop is tuning while on the dyno, then they should have what's needed for a TS style chip as well. The chips are switch on the fly. Let off the throttle, rotate to desired slot, continue. And tuning while on the dyno will provide much finer tunes. But, if they're just putting it on the dyno to see how she does, then nothing is being accomplished.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea the guy was tuning it on the dyno. i didnt know they were switch on the fly, thats how my cummins was and i liked that. now can i get a 6 POS and have one of those set up as a custom tune?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Basically all of the tuners (Gearhead,PHP, DP, Tony Wildman,etc) have "custom tunes" for these trucks. They usually are around $450-$500 to have them on a 6 position (TS Chip burned with their tunes). PHP has the Pheonix Chip that is fairly cheap in comparison - $295 with their custom tunes on it or you can get the Hydra Chip that has up to 17 tunes (all of their tunes are available to you) that accepts other peoples tunes as well, all can be uploaded from email through the USB.

From what I've found, these are all tunes that are pre-written to specific year trucks (HEX Codes on the computer). If you upgrade your turbo, injectors, etc then you'll have to have another tune written specifically for your truck. Those are definitely a true custom tune specifically for your truck. That was my reasoning for going with the Hydra. PHP Charges $25 for their custom tunes and it will be emailed to me/uploaded within minutes.

With a 6 position chip, you'll have to remove it, mail it in, have it burned, and mailed back/re-installed. DP has a similar option as the Hydra as well but I think its more money.

Comparing a customer 6 position/hydra chip to a canned TS Chip or similar tuner (I had a Diablo Predator) is night and day. My 80DD tune is much faster than the 100 Extreme tune on the Predator and shifting is so much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.