38r duability - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 05:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
38r duability

After considering getting a new turbo and talking to a hard headed diesel mechanic he said he hates ball bearing turbos because he got one for his powerstroke and locked up after 3000 miles, have there been cases like this with the 38r,and how many miles do you have on your 38r or expect it to last for

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 05:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I love mine. I expect to get well over 100k miles. Just got to keep up the oil change maintenance. His line of reasoning is retarded. He would probably blame the dog for taking a dump in the wrong spot in the yard for causing the stock market crash. Lol

Old 06-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

When you got it did it have a good bit more power? Did it make it more driveable with the quick spool up? Did you see any mpg gain?

Old 06-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosshurlow1 View Post
When you got it did it have a good bit more power? Did it make it more driveable with the quick spool up? Did you see any mpg gain?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Cleaned up my exhaust too, meaning my truck doesn't plum a bunch coal dust when I get on it.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I bet the mechanic who blew his 38r installed the pedestal too tight. The orings squish out and limit oil flow through the pedestal. Then the turbo does not get enough oil.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The 38r is a great drop in turbo and will last a long time, even at higher boost. I think I would disregard the mechanic in question's advice. His logic is very flawed.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
Yes. Yes. Yes. Cleaned up my exhaust too, meaning my truck doesn't plum a bunch coal dust when I get on it.

hey hucorey noticed in your sig you got the WW2 in on your 38R, how do you like it?

and to the OP, I've been beating the dog sh%$ outta my 38r for over 3 years now. Had it to its limit and over its limit many many times.. havent once had an issue with it...
Old 06-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin'patty View Post
hey hucorey noticed in your sig you got the WW2 in on your 38R, how do you like it?

and to the OP, I've been beating the dog sh%$ outta my 38r for over 3 years now. Had it to its limit and over its limit many many times.. havent once had an issue with it...
I like it, but honestly, I really don't have anything to compare it to. When I got the 38R I ordered the WW2 at the same time. So the turbo got installed right away with the new wheel. All I can say is that it most definitely spools up quick.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not to derail but I wanted to point something out. The guy that asked about how the ww2 does, adding a different compressor wheel won't allow the 38r to handle bigger injectors, the 38r downfall is the turbine side of it. It also has a smaller exducer on the compressor side than most turbos around its inducer size. With 250s you need to not spend anymore money on pimping a turbo that is to small for your setup. Really a 38r is Maxed out at 238s, and at that I wouldn't even run it on that big of an injector.

Op, that mechanic has no clue the 38r will last a long time. I haven't actually heard of one wearing itself out. It's usually killed by to big of injectors and to much back pressure.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentexpowerstroke View Post
Not to derail but I wanted to point something out. The guy that asked about how the ww2 does, adding a different compressor wheel won't allow the 38r to handle bigger injectors, the 38r downfall is the turbine side of it. It also has a smaller exducer on the compressor side than most turbos around its inducer size. With 250s you need to not spend anymore money on pimping a turbo that is to small for your setup. Really a 38r is Maxed out at 238s, and at that I wouldn't even run it on that big of an injector.
Not true by any means. This wheel is still relatively new and more R&D is being done by dieselsite as and PHP. See dyno results and beta testing results on here and Dieselsites's web page. One result was easily over 600hp with 250/200's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.