Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

My truck runs awesome

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  frashdog 
#1 ·
Man this thing hauls. Got 150k miles on my 7.3, A few thousand miles ago I got beans stage 1 injectors and tuning. To clean up the smoke and lag we recently did the dieselsite ww2, wastegate controller and boost fooler. I also did these spring flanged up pipes got on ebay. No gaskets, way more better seal.

I have to say the upgraded up pipes were under rated. After the stage one injectors the exhaust leaks were more and more obvious. Really poor mpg was the first sign.

I also just replaced a failing cps with the new cheap ones at ford and an icp sensor that had oil in the plug. Those two things made the truck run better.

Now my set up hardly smokes at all towing, mild plume if you stab it in low boost.
In race, I can smoke if I floor it, but once she lights it just a light haze.
The rate of boost is what shocks, let alone the amazing sound of the new ww2! I can slap 35psi quick and surge it around 40psi.

My egts are easier to control now, compared with the stock injectors and tuning! My icp is over 3k and my fuel pressure gets down to 47psi at the end of the fuel rails under full pull. Other wise fuel pressure is mid 50's.

I have not played with the wastegate controller, I am going to drive around with my AE to monitor my back pressure soon to see where I'm at and whats going on with drive pressures.

Very stoked!

See less See more
#2 ·
Great info, were all the upgrades done at once or were you able to feel the difference of each upgrade (sounds like the injectors and tune were done at the same time)

#3 ·
1st Injectors and tuning...huge gain but no where close to what the turbo area mods gave this.

few months later Icp and cps..noticed cleaned up idle and starting.

Few weeks later ww2, waste gate controller, boost fooler and up pipes... these are the parts that brought it all together. The injectors and tunes potential were wasted with out addressing the turbo.

I'll bet so many people have leaky up pipes and waste money in other areas besides poor mpg.

I see almost no smoke in the dd or tow tune, just stabbing it under 10psi a mild plum. In race you can mitigate the cloud by getting onto more gradually.

In any tune from 15-30+psi is sooo fast!

I've got probably 50k on the BTS. This thing is half of the equation for power to the wheels. Solid power delivery. I'd probably destroy a stock trans in days with this power and driving habits.

#4 ·
Good to know. I've been debating on getting a wheel and upgrading other parts of the stock turbo or just putting that money towards a 38R or Thruster considering my turbo has 180k + miles on it already. Glad to hear it made a big difference (up pipes as well)

#5 ·
Congrats!!

Tom

#8 ·
Thank The Lord I did not try the up pipes. I debated cause it looks so easy right. The shop spent hours on one bolt broke and seized in the exhaust manifold, they ended up drilling it out. I went in and checked out their delay and was laughing at them in fun. Happy to pay that bill!

#7 ·
ya up pipes was the least Favorite thing ive done on my truck...
i couldnt get the bolts to come out of the collector. i ended up cutting the pipes right below the Y collector and that was a godsend.
Sawzalls are the best.
make sure you put high temp anti seize on everything when you put everything back together.

and i soaked every dang bolt with Aerokroil for 2-3 days beforehand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.