2000 excursion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 excursion

Just bought a 2000 excursion with 350k on the odometer it looks clean and runs fine minus a miss at cruising speeds. Now this truck is a legit one owner truck before me and allegedly has an issue with the uvch causing the stutter. So here's what's on the way let me know what I'm missing. I'm having rosewood rebuild my injectors, I have a set of motorcraft uvch and glowplugs, I have a four inch diamond eye exhaust with muffler, I also purchased a wwg2 and the Westgate controller from dieselsite, got the 203 degree thermostat, I have a rebuild kit for the turbo, hpx line, plan on doing a 6637 diy intake with filter cover, coolant filter kit, bellowed up pipes, aih delete plug, boost fooler, and a quad pod from glowshift with egt trans pyro and fuel pressure, I also have a stage three water meth mpg max kit and a remote start with built in turbo timer. That's he'll of a shopping cart but I feel I am forgetting something my intent is a solid daily driver that will see alot of miles and I would like to be able to tear it apart once and not have to touch it again for another 350k thanks in advance for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 11:16 AM

pics

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0733197&type=3

Here's a link to some pics more to come planning on taking alot on rebuild weekend
Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 AM

Trans valve body, flush, filter and extra cooler..??
Old 05-10-2013, 01:23 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
With that kind of mileage, even if it's a 100% clean perfect truck I wouldn't put much money into it. And no way on any kind performance parts. Even if you rebuild the engine, trans, axles, brakes, and suspension- even the wiring has a ton of miles on it.
Another thing to consider...if it went this far as is, then why change the recipe now?
Probably everything will be fine with giving it a little love, but I've seen this play out before where someone gets a high mileage old diesel in good shape. They put a couple go-fast/mpg goodies on it and then the repairs start piling up. Next thing you know they've got 15,000 into a 6000 dollar truck.

Good luck either way, I don't want to jinx you, just warn you about possibilities.

And inspect your flexplate on that miss

Last edited by copracr; 05-10-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
Trans valve body, flush, filter and extra cooler..??
i am searching for an oil cooler now and i will be doing a flush and filter when i put it on but unfortunatly my budget draws the line at the valve body for now however the vehicle has no signs of abuse, other than driving it was a family vehicle and has never had larger than stock tires on it so i am willing to roll the dice on that one for a few more months.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copracr View Post
With that kind of mileage, even if it's a 100% clean perfect truck I wouldn't put much money into it. And no way on any kind performance parts. Even if you rebuild the engine, trans, axles, brakes, and suspension- even the wiring has a ton of miles on it.
Another thing to consider...if it went this far as is, then why change the recipe now?
Probably everything will be fine with giving it a little love, but I've seen this play out before where someone gets a high mileage old diesel in good shape. They put a couple go-fast/mpg goodies on it and then the repairs start piling up. Next thing you know they've got 15,000 into a 6000 dollar truck.

Good luck either way, I don't want to jinx you, just warn you about possibilities.

And inspect your flexplate on that miss
well i have no intentions of making it anything more than a very reliable vhicle and almost all of the parts i have waiting to put on it have an efficiency benefit yes the wwg2 gives you more boost but it also reduces drive pressure and the water meth kit gives more power but reduces egts so even pushing the same amount of fuel through the stock injectors will wear less on the engine with less drive pressures and less egts so given the fact that i will be checking everything that gets in my way and i plan on doing a compression test just to see how well it has actually been taken care of and as far as dumping money i only build things one of 4 ways bigger better faster stronger so i already told myself i was gonna sink 10g into this 6g vehicle but i will be definatly keeping my eyes open thanks for the input

by the way what kind of compression numbers are good anyone know what i should be looking for thanks
Old 05-11-2013, 06:25 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinestheman View Post
i am searching for an oil cooler now and i will be doing a flush and filter when i put it on but unfortunatly my budget draws the line at the valve body for now however the vehicle has no signs of abuse, other than driving it was a family vehicle and has never had larger than stock tires on it so i am willing to roll the dice on that one for a few more months.
VB is only 250. for the money you are putting into the motor you also need to give the tranny some love
Old 05-11-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
by the way what kind of compression numbers are good anyone know what i should be looking for thanks
I'm not sure what would be good at that mileage, I'd guess 350+. I would look more for even numbers
Old 05-11-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomer pyle View Post
VB is only 250. for the money you are putting into the motor you also need to give the tranny some love
I guess ill look again to be honest my truck is a zf6 truck not much attention needed their so this is my first auto behind a diesel mill so any suggestions here will most likely be news to me I guess ill look into it more who do you recommend for a good valve body understand I don't plan on anything else in the future except possibly a ts chip so I don't need an all out race proven valve body just one that will function for a long time and keep the internals together
Old 05-11-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I guess ill look again to be honest my truck is a zf6 truck not much attention needed their so this is my first auto behind a diesel mill so any suggestions here will most likely be news to me I guess ill look into it more who do you recommend for a good valve body understand I don't plan on anything else in the future except possibly a ts chip so I don't need an all out race proven valve body just one that will function for a long time and keep the internals together
I had the BTS installed in my Excursion and thought it was great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.