Hypertech review after installation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hypertech review after installation

Okay guys, I don't want to start a flame war, but I could only find spotty information and arguments on the topic of Hypertech programmers before I bought mine so I want to post a review and real world numbers now that I have mine installed.

My truck is a 2000 7.3 4x4 F250 quad cab short box with 201k miles. The only real "mod" I have done to the truck is the WIX DIY air filter/intake mod, although I've had my share of problems because this truck sat for 3 years I've learned plenty by replacing the injector cups, glow plugs, glow plug relay (the upgraded unit), fuel bowl bleed valve, steering box, outer tie rod end, shocks etc.

I have plenty of other toys, so this being my work truck, I've decided to take the mods slow, and that fuel mileage is the most important thing as I historically drive my work rig 40 to 60k per year.

I have a close friend who has a 6.0 with the SCT and loves it, but the more I read about the SCT, it seemed it wasn't the best choice for the 7.3. Also I know most of you prefer the multi-position chips for the 7.3 but I wanted something easy that would also improve my fuel economy as Hypertech promises like crazy as I'm not really into major performance mods.

First lets cover fuel mileage:

I drive a lot of routes randomly, and historically they would all provide slightly different (but consistent for the route) mileage counts because of "hillyness" etc. Here are the numbers for the route I drive most often. This route includes:

* 18 or so miles to the interstate from my house in stop and go city driving
* South on I75 from exit 104 to exit 38 (in KY)
* 4-5 miles in city driving
* Turn around and come home, so the same route backwards.

This route is very hilly on I75, and round trip, with no stops at any gas stations is 183 miles. I mostly drive 75Mph on cruise when I can, but often times have to slow down a few times for traffic or trucks going up a hill. For my hand calculations, I wait for the foam to die and fill up until the fuel is almost spilling from the filler neck. I have a bed cover installed and am usually hauling 500 or so lbs of equipment under that cover and driving with no passengers.

Average Before Hypertech, in the summer months, with no additive:

15.3 Hand calculated
*Using GPS mileage

16.1 on the lie-o-meter

Average After the Hypertech on Stage III, (two trips this spring so far, one day was 72, the other was 83 degrees), no additive:

20.1 Hand calculated
*Using GPS mileage

22.1 on the lie-o-meter

YES, THAT'S RIGHT, I DROVE A 7,200LB TRUCK FOR 183 MILES ON 9.1 GALLONS OF FUEL! FLAME ALL YOU WANT, IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME I'll TAKE YOU ON MY NEXT TRIP AND SHOW YOU MYSELF. FYI, it was 9.2 gallons on one trip and 9.0 on the other.

That being said, the damn thing runs like a scolded dog now, and I get nice (but not too much) poofs of smoke when I lay it down. It def accelerates much faster as the first time I hit the pedal all the stuff that's been in my cubby holes and over my sun visor for a year went flying all over the truck. Spool time is very quick now.

Only had it programmed for two weeks now, I know Hypertech says not to worry about your EGTs with their programming, but I'll be installing gauges next week to make sure I don't melt a piston, and am keeping my foot out of the floor until then.

Let the flaming begin........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I am in the same boat kinda...have the superchips. That being said just so you know you could have that much mpg/power + more if you had the TS/DP, I've had both and went back to superchips cause its a work truck not a race truck...And I'll say this, get guages anyhow....even stock tuning towing I can max out my egt's tune of any kind is going to make it worse. I'll go back to my 11-12 mpg corner now (darn 4:10's and 8,900 lbs empty)
Old 05-09-2013, 08:36 AM

Forgive me, as I am not the expert on this subject, but being as I still have a stock truck, I have been doing a LOT of reading as to the direction to go in search of the POWER!

I dont think anyone disputes that the Hypertech, Superchips, BullyDog tuners will not give you more power. From what I have read the major complaint with the canned tuners is that they are doing nothing for tuning your transmission for all the new found power. I think that there are also claims to the custom chips getting more power for your money, although I haven't found dyno charts proving it, and I don't really care that much.

Anyway, back to topic. I would like to know how your shifts are with the hypertech programmer compared to stock (pulling and empty). Are they harder, firmer, softer? Is there any slipping with the new power your putting out? And did it change the shift points at all between towing and not, or can you?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyJob View Post
Forgive me, as I am not the expert on this subject, but being as I still have a stock truck, I have been doing a LOT of reading as to the direction to go in search of the POWER!

I dont think anyone disputes that the Hypertech, Superchips, BullyDog tuners will not give you more power. From what I have read the major complaint with the canned tuners is that they are doing nothing for tuning your transmission for all the new found power. I think that there are also claims to the custom chips getting more power for your money, although I haven't found dyno charts proving it, and I don't really care that much.

Anyway, back to topic. I would like to know how your shifts are with the hypertech programmer compared to stock (pulling and empty). Are they harder, firmer, softer? Is there any slipping with the new power your putting out? And did it change the shift points at all between towing and not, or can you?
as for me on the superchip it does change it...sct livewire is selectable even on our 7.3's. not sure on the hypertech
Old 05-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyJob View Post

The Hypertech does have tranny tunes in their unit, however I did not go with Level I or II and went straight to level III, so when I programmed, it did not ask me to tune the tranny. According to the manual, the level III tune is so powerful, that it also auto tunes the tranny at the same time when you install the Level III tune. I can confirm that the tranny shifts are much better timed and much smoother/quicker after installing the Level III tunes from Hypertech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, hypertech, review

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.