Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

GTP38R Boost Control Problems?

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  blue99stroker 
#1 ·
Hello,

I recently replaced my turbo with a GTP38R, Turbo-Master, Bellowed Up-Pipes, and PHP Hydra. When running on the 80hp performance tune doing a WOT pull in 3rd gear my 35 PSI gauge would max out and ses would activate. I started backing out the turbo-master and now i'm all the way backed of (the WG practically hangs open) and I still peak out between 32-34psi no ses however, of course with the WG controller set so low have bad lag. My question: is this normal for it to boost this much with the wastegate open? My engine is all stock (far as I know) and I need to keep the WG controller clamped down to eliminate the lag but, then I risk overboosting the truck. I was wanting to set the max boost to 30 PSI but that cannot be achieved. I've read that the safe limit is 35 psi conservatively.

Or do I just need to clamp it down and modulate boost with the foot?

Thanks,

John

#2 · (Edited)
the stock wastegate opens at like 7-8 lbs of boost. i know this because i plugged the wastegate into a boost gauge and got about 8 pounds.
and i get around 28 lbs of boost. so yea its normal for it to open.
the point of the turbomaster is to dial in when you want it to open.
i would set it somewhere between 20-30 lbs

oh and the overboost codes come on at like 23-25 lbs of boost. and you wont overboost the truck.
buy a boost fooler or make one and see if that fixes your SES light issue.
mine comes on all the time.

#3 ·
Ok, so I'm just going to have to toy around with tuning the lag out just to the point that peak boost does not increase. I just wanted to make sure I was not going to hurt the stock truck with 30-35 psi of boost (since 32psi is the lowest I can get it to go at WOT).

If you don't mind my asking, which tunes do you have on your chip? The hydra is nice for holding all the tunes but I have to have a cheat sheet to remember where my stuff is at. I think I will just keep the first 4-6 position for the best tunes but I have not decided which ones those should be.

Thanks a lot for the help.

#4 ·
stock sticks?

#5 ·
Far as I know they are stock. I don't think the older gentleman that I bought it from put anything more than the banks stinger plus system when he bought it new. I have since removed all the banks parts. Is there an easy way to find out? I have AE with Ford enhanced. Or will I just need to pull a vc?

#6 ·
you probably have stock sticks.
you wont hurt the truck with that amount of boost.
bill at php dynoed a 7.3 with stage ones a stock turbo with gen 2 wicked wheel and he made 43 psi. the drive pressures were fine so i doubt you are going to have any issues at 35 psi of boost with a 38r.
on my chip i have stock, 60 tow, 80 dd, 120 race, 140 extreme, and smoke show which is stupid and i never use it lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.