I NEED HELP... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question I NEED HELP...

Hey ya'll,
Ok so I FINALLY bought my first PSD a few days ago after wanting one for as long as I can remember. It's a 01 f350 extended cab 124,000 miles, ats intake,turbo (pretty sure the turbo is ats) 4 inch turbo back straight pipe. theres the basics anyway.. So the other day I was leaving work and i waited for the wait to start light to turn off and tried to start it. It was cranking normally but it would not turn over and start. I tried a few more times and on the 4th time (i think it was the 4th) it finally started. I haven't had the problem since (knock on wood). Also when it was cranking I didnt see any smoke at all comming out of the pipe. When I bought it the dealer said it had a chip. I don't know what kind of chip but on my dash it has a knob that will turn 5 clicks.. so my question is.. 1) does this sound like something that could have happened due to a chip? 2) if i still have the chip in the truck, should I remove it? 3)How do I get to the chip to see what type it is or to remove it if need be? I've never been the type to chip or program so it's a relatively new concept for me. Also, right before it started, a friend of mine was under the hood as I waited for the wts light to turn off and he heard this odd buzzing sound comming from something that is on the passenger side of the engine compartment. It had what looked like vacuum hoses or something going to it.. its right above the solenoid. I don't know what it was but it didn't stop until I started the truck after about 30 seconds of listening to the buzzing..
I hope someone can help me out because I am a little worried .. If this is an obvious issue that I should know, I'm still learning..Thanks for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Serving Our Country!

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The buzzing under your hood is totally normal, so don't worry about that.

It is super unlikely that he chip could cause the long crank that you experienced.
Does the truck have gauges? A chip without gauges is a no no.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Serving Our Country!

Ya it's got boost, EGT, and trans temp
Old 05-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The buzzing under the hood is the vacuum pump, which operates the dash vents and vacuum operated hubs if you have a 4X4. It is totally normal.

The hard start could be caused by multiple different things, so more diagnosis will be required if it happens again. It probably is not related to the chip.

You can more than likely identify the chip type if you look at the ECM located behind the driver's side kick panel. Do a google search for "chip install 7.3 powerstroke" or go to one of the vendor's websites (PHP, DPTuner, etc.), where they show how to install a chip. My guess is that the chip will have some type of identification on it (I'm guessing, since I don't have one yet). Also, are you sure it only has 5 positions? If it has 6, it is likely that it is a TS style chip.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

Thanks for the tip. I meant that it will turn 5 clicks so really it has 6 positions. I havn't messed with it too much because like I said im not a chip/ programmer guy and I know a lot of people screw up the engine because they didn't do all the other stuff they gotta do when installing the chip. And again the truck still starts up normally whether it's warm or cold (knock on wood again)...Would anybody recommend removing the chip?
Old 05-05-2013, 06:39 PM

I wouldn't remove it, I would just figure out what it is.
A good chip is a great improvement to a 7.3.
The 7.3 is a bit of a dog without a little tuning
Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

All totaly normal. With the chip, its sounds like a ts style 6 position chip. I would recommend you run it in a low setting until you have time to go through you trucks fluids etc.

Examples of chip settings are. stock, economy, +50hp,+75hp,+100hp, +120hp. Some have high idel, smoke tune, no start on and on.

You just bought the truck, I would recommend a good oil change and filters to include a fuel filter. Check trans fluid for level, smell and appearance.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

Also, when you change your fuel filter, while its out open the **** pit valve and empty it. dump more fuel in it to flush trash out. Put new filter in and fill up with fuel, add a can of Seafoam fuel treatment.

When you go to the parts store, they will have several chooses on filters (fuel and oil) cheap, middle of the line and good. Whatever you do dont use the cheap.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:32 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would only use motorcraft filters for oil and fuel. The turbo is probably stock with an ats ported shroud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.