DPC-422 PCM's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 06:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
DPC-422 PCM's

FWIW. I have found that if anyone is looking to upgrade their PCM to the DPC-422, you can get them from Autozone unflashed at a nice price. It's a Cardone Reman part number 78-8636F. Then you can take it to your local dealer to have it flashed to whatever software you wish. I'm getting mine flashed to PMT1. Dealer quoted $80. I figured that's fair.

I searched high and low and all other companies absolutely needed a VIN and mileage from the truck. I have an e99 so obviously I don't want yo use my VIN Places I tried were AutoComputerExchange, O'Reillys, Advanced, directly through Cardone, and a few others I forgot their names. Makes no sense to me why, but nobody would do it. Plus they were much higher priced.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's the gain from doing this and how much was the computer from Autozone? If you already have custom tuning where is the advantage? Are there just more parameters for the tuner to tune?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickhorse View Post
What's the gain from doing this and how much was the computer from Autozone? If you already have custom tuning where is the advantage? Are there just more parameters for the tuner to tune?
Huge gains for the price.
Autozone $243.99
The e99 PCM s are like an old Microsoft 3.1 vs Windows Dual core. Processor is much better and yes more parameters.
Most high end tuners do not even support e99 pcm,or, if they do they will recommend getting a newer PCM. As far as I know PHP is one that will support e99 XLE4 program but Bill will recommend a DCP422.

Just do a search on here for a DPC 422 or PMT1,2, or 3.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
Huge gains for the price.
Autozone $243.99
The e99 PCM s are like an old Microsoft 3.1 vs Windows Dual core. Processor is much better and yes more parameters.
Most high end tuners do not even support e99 pcm,or, if they do they will recommend getting a newer PCM. As far as I know PHP is one that will support e99 XLE4 program but Bill will recommend a DCP422.

Just do a search on here for a DPC 422 or PMT1,2, or 3.

Which one is the best out of those 4 that you listed? My truck runs darn good so it's hard to justify but I may do this upgrade if Jody says it will be a benefit.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Is your truck a L99? if so you may already have one if it runs pretty good now.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 AM

E99 . . . 10/98 . . . I credit the way it runs to Jody . . . I had other tuners try and no one even came close to the way he has it tuned. I am using a SCT X-Cal 2 handheld for my tuning not his traditional chip.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Shoot him an email and ask to see how much different it is. Add I called around and David Lott @ Innovative, Matt @ Gearhead, and PHP all recommended it but but PHP was the only one who had the capabilities to tune single shots on an e99 at the time as far as I knew.

Also do you remember what program code you gave Jody to do your tunes? E99 is a XLE4 or 8 typically. Maybe someone already swapped it out. Never know.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
Shoot him an email and ask to see how much different it is. Add I called around and David Lott @ Innovative, Matt @ Gearhead, and PHP all recommended it but but PHP was the only one who had the capabilities to tune single shots on an e99 at the time as far as I knew.

Also do you remember what program code you gave Jody to do your tunes? E99 is a XLE4 or 8 typically. Maybe someone already swapped it out. Never know.

Jody has always tuned for single shots. As far as the XLE PCM's are concerned, around 5 yrs ago when the DPC-422(late 99) PCM's became harder to get Jody spent months working on the XLE programming to "ACT" like his PMT version. Through us there is no reason to upgrade to a late 99 PCM if you are an Early 99 PCM.

Quickhorse- do not spend money on this. Your PCM is fine. If it dies and you can't find an Early 99 PCM you can use a late 99 PCM if need be.

hucorey- Comparing the late 99 PCM to a dual core processor is a stretch. LOL Dual core is more compared to the 6.7. It will blow your mind.

Diane
Old 05-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYa View Post
Jody has always tuned for single shots. As far as the XLE PCM's are concerned, around 5 yrs ago when the DPC-422(late 99) PCM's became harder to get Jody spent months working on the XLE programming to "ACT" like his PMT version. Through us there is no reason to upgrade to a late 99 PCM if you are an Early 99 PCM.

Well I don't have DP tunes nor do you offer tuning on TS 6pos switches. At least from your website anyway. Also not everyone has DP tunes. So for quickhorse then I agree it would be a waste of money if you say what is true about Jody tuning the XLE's. But I'm sure someone else out there can and probably will debate that. I won't debate be because I'm not a tuner, and am just going by what other tuners have suggested.

For me, the money is worth it because I have been in a couple of trucks with less upgrades than mine and seem to run better than mine with the dpc422. Plus. I have two TS chips so I can still run tunes all the time without having to wait for a chip to come back if I want something changed.

Quickhorse- do not spend money on this. Your PCM is fine. If it dies and you can't find an Early 99 PCM you can use a late 99 PCM if need be.

hucorey- Comparing the late 99 PCM to a dual core processor is a stretch. LOL Dual core is more compared to the 6.7. It will blow your mind.

I would compare a 6.7PS as a windows 7 with quadcore

Diane

Old 05-01-2013, 10:11 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
TW has had e99 tunes forever....no big thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.