Banks turbo upgrade and intercooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 05:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Banks turbo upgrade and intercooler

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find a thread. So I'll ask.

My 7.3 is getting about %50 boost and my powerstroke mechanic says its probably a CAC leak. So instead of paying a lot of money for this guy to find where the leak is, I'm going to replace the intercooler system with Banks and upgrade the turbo with a banks kit.

My truck is consuming oil. About a gallon every 3000 miles. They haven't found where the oil is going yet, but I'm thinking that its burning it. If I am correct, will these upgrades blow the motor for the added pressure put on it?

My 99 7.3 has 191,000 miles.

I simply don't want to put $3,000 into the truck to cause a failure to cost more real soon.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Those upgrades would be a disappointment. Save your money.

Fill out your sig with whatever current mods you have and we can point you in a much better direction.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Premium Starfish Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^^ what he said.
Find a 6.0 Intercooler instead of Banks. You can find them for ~$100
Buy the new boots for the entire system $300 at most.

Just curious if you're seeing any leaks on the ground or are you seeing any white smoke while idling? That's a lot of oil to be lost that quick.
I'd save your money to find out where that's all going first, then do the upgrades I mentioned, and save your money for a new turbo and chip/tuner and Exhaust.

*edit
And chances are - it's probably your wastegate controller. If it's still stock - it's probably worn out, and opening a little sooner than expected (or just not staying closed.)
You can try to adjust the rod for the wastegate to test.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPatMan View Post
^^ what he said.
Find a 6.0 Intercooler instead of Banks. You can find them for ~$100
Buy the new boots for the entire system $300 at most.

Just curious if you're seeing any leaks on the ground or are you seeing any white smoke while idling? That's a lot of oil to be lost that quick.
I'd save your money to find out where that's all going first, then do the upgrades I mentioned, and save your money for a new turbo and chip/tuner and Exhaust.

*edit
And chances are - it's probably your wastegate controller. If it's still stock - it's probably worn out, and opening a little sooner than expected (or just not staying closed.)
You can try to adjust the rod for the wastegate to test.
The bottom of the motor is clean, no oil. I don't see any on the ground after sitting for the night either. No white smoke at idle.

They also put die in my oil to see if its going through the injector seals. But didn't see any die in the fuel bowl.

Its hard to see, but I think I've seen it when I first step on the throttle.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:54 AM

Subscribed for the 6.0 intercooler comments
Old 05-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Premium Starfish Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
No need to subscribe really - There's quite a few other threads about swapping a 6.0 IC in for a 7.3. You can even get the boots from Riffraff, DieselSite and a few others so that it's an direct fit for the 7.3's IC Pipes.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. But really it didn't answer my question. Even if I do go with a 6.0 intercooler, will it cause the rings to blow out?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:14 PM

No it will not
Old 05-05-2013, 07:35 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd save your money on the 6.0 ic too, they arent worth it. Why not build a leak detector for $15 and find the real cause... And instead of dropping money on pointless parts, compression test the motor and see if its done for. Why spend $ on a truck that has a low compression motor. No matter what you throw at it, if its low compression it won't help it at all. If its low, use that money you just saved and buy a forged short block and swap it, 7.3s are cake to swap.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:21 AM

Thank you guys. I'm leaning towards leaking injectors is the cause of my oil consumption and powerstroke mechanics are telling me that more in likely that's the cause.

But thanks for the heads up with the 6.0 cooler. Didn't know they were much better than the 7.3 coolers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.