Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Programmers

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Raul@Stealth Automotive 
#1 ·
I am wanting to get a programmer for my 2002 7.3 PSD. The main thing I am looking for is improved fuel mileage. I am looking to get either the SCT Livewire, Edge Evolution, or the Quadzilla Commander. Which of these would be good for fuel mileage. Also I ordered a muffler delete, will this increase fuel mileage at all?

#5 ·
I'm looking for the same thing you are, i drive an '01 F350. I've read of several guys getting their trannys burned out using the Edge programmers on 7.3's, check it out on competition diesel forum. I'm still very unsure what I'll be getting, the more I research it the more complicated it seems.

#13 ·
Alright, ya'll got me all worried about smoking my trans. So I am gonna look into getting a programmer and a set of dual guages (EGT, Boost) What type of programmer do yall recommend? Like I said above I am basically looking for fuel mileage but a little extra power never hurt anyone. Main concern being not %&#*ing up my trans. I have heard good things about Diablo getting around 20-25 MPG. This true??? I am trying to stay around $500. Any suggestions.

#16 ·
Yeah you can go to there website forum and see how bad there tunes, and customer service is.:doh::banging: If you want a good programmer for a decent price go with the SCT X3. :icon_ford: The nice thing about SCT is they are proven and if you want to go with custom tunes, alot of people make custom tunes for them. I got mine for $400 shipped from Jody at Dp tuner. Like Raul said though.....be sure to get gauges. It can get pretty damn hot on the performance setting

#15 ·
dont believe that 20 to 25 mpg number.... my mpg computer was pretty much dead on till i got my evo2. now it reads 24 or more and i get about 15 to 16 so far. but that was driving kinda hard with my new found power :) it seems that all programmers whack out the mpg computer. the only real way is to hand caculate it

I like my evo2. its a pretty sweet package. I have read that alot of people use it with success. my tranny died right after i got my truck with about 155k on it. but it lived a pretty hard life before me pulling a big horse trailer and a big 5th. i have not pulled much with it yet.... in level 1 (tow) it shifts pretty hard. in level 2 and 3 it shifts much better. you also have the option of changing the shifting and a few other things with the evo 2 right before it programs the ecu. i did not change anything. also the evo2 will read EGTs and CELs.

#20 ·
If you want gauges and everything I would go with the livewire if it's available for 7.3 because I believe you can put custom tunes on it

Luke

#21 ·
Man I would just go with a flip chip from tony or dp that is the only way to go in my opinion, you can get it programmed for YOUR truck not just a basic 7.3

#22 ·
What are the power increases gained with the Tony Wildman setup for a 7.3L '02 diesel? On the website, I saw the options/settings from which to choose, but I didn't see the specific power increases for each setting. Also, if you could have any performance tuner on the market today including SCT, BullyDog, ATS, Edge, etc., which one would you recommend if money wasn't a limiting factor? The tuner would be primarily for power gain, and any increase in MPG would be an added bonus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.