does this sound right for a "stock" truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
does this sound right for a "stock" truck

The other night on the way home I was passing a semi and hit 95 and my truck just quit accelerating...so I figured there was a speed limiter set there...well on the way to the machinery show I told a buddy that and he said lets see it, so I started accelerating then floored it I hit 90 and he says HOLY S*** your running 30 lbs. of boost! So I look and she was sitting on 30 then when I hit 30 it quit accelerating....why would my truck make that much boost? I don't have any chip or anything in there just the red wastegate line MIA and as far as I know its a stock turbo? any ideas?

Luke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Cynic

Unplugging the red line only adds 4-6psi. At 30psi, your truck will be defueling like crazy and the SES light will come on. If it isn't coming on, you have a map fooler of some sort, or you aren't making that much boost. Also, you'd need a chip to push the AB injectors that hard to drive the turbo that high. Even when I was experimenting with programmers a few months back before I decided on a DP chip, MAX boost was 20-22psi. unplugged was around 25-26psi.

This was before AND after moving to the 6.0 IC. I lost about 2psi moving to the large IC.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Cynic

Also, before I bought a ITP boost fooler, my SES light would not come on till about 70mph from a dead stop run and would stay on for about 20 seconds or so.

BUT, I could tell that the engine was defueling above 20-23psi due to the truck falling on it's face through the gears. Now it pulls VERY hard (23-26psi to 97 MPH) then falls on it's face on the "stock" setting.

Now that I have the PMT2 (2001) pcm and not the XLE4 (early 99) pcm, I haven't had time to play tuning. I really need to call Jody and fix that.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:20 PM

I have no SES and from what I've been around my gauge seems very accurate...about 5 lbs. of boost on highway...I HAD a map fooler, somebody grounded out a wire but when I got it I hooked it up the way it was suppose to be because I wasn't a big fan of the way it was done...and absolutely NO chip I've ran an evo on it and it accepted it. Its got to be defueling though unless there really is a speed limiter at 95...plus I was still pulling hard all the way to 95 and as soon as it hit that much boost it just fell on its face and its always right around 95

Luke
Old 02-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Cynic

It is probably OBD II programmed. 5lbs at what speed? At 65-70mph, I MIGHT have 3psi if that. Going up a hill or HEAVY headwind, I may hit 5psi.

EDIT: Also, just for COMPLETE giggles, I returned my truck to stock and saw 16psi MAX.

Last edited by Dirk; 02-15-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:26 PM

I guess it could be that...about 60-65 its 4-5 pounds then I step on it and it goes to 20....if it is tuned it isn't much because the highest egt I've hit was 1000 and that was after the 10K before that it was only like 800 MAX
Old 02-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Cynic

If the truck was "tuned" and you put a pcm unlocked tuner on it, the evo would accept the trucks program as "stock".
Old 02-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by binder man View Post
I guess it could be that...about 60-65 its 4-5 pounds then I step on it and it goes to 20....if it is tuned it isn't much because the highest egt I've hit was 1000 and that was after the 10K before that it was only like 800 MAX
ODB II tuned, I hit 1000-1100 with the stock IC. With the 6.0IC, I can hit 900-1000. 1300 is easy with a chip.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:51 PM

right thats why I'm wondering why there so low...i can keep up with a 2002 auto reg. cab. with a ts on 140, and another late 99 six spd. with a DI....something isn't adding up...anyway to tell if its obd II programmed?

Luke
Old 02-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Cynic

Not without a scanner like a MT2500 or AE software. Your EGT's are inline with old obd II tuner. The boost is inline with a tuner if you consider you've removed the red line. I still think your gauge may be a bit off, but that's an opinion only.

Considering the age of your truck, I'd be surprised, VERY surprised if it wasn't tuned in SOME way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.