Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

turbo wheel upgrade

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Lord Tauk 
#1 ·
Im looking at buying a new wheel for my truck, my question is it worth it? I just got back into the diesel thing (totaled out my last psd) Ordering exhaust, intake or making one, probably a tw chip, and possibly diy injectors nothing too major for injectors though i dont wanna have to change the hpop. Oh i can get the wheel for 55 bucks

#2 ·
truck info, i imagine a 7.3

#4 ·
oh ya it's a 99 f-250, later model

#5 ·
Go with any of the turbo wheels. There is no real big difference except for the price. However the one that dieselsite.com sells is the best of all since Bob designed it.

#6 ·
So is it gonna be worth my time and money putting in a wheel? and should i have the turbo rebuilt/balanced if i do it? Im more concerned about the tome it would take i mean a wheel is pretty cheap

#7 ·
I've never heard of needing a balance for a different wheel, mechanically aslong as it's symmetrical it won't have any bad balance issues even if the weight is more or less to a degree.

The different form of "fins" on the aftermarket compressor wheels make me think otherwise on the balance issue as well, but a ton of people run them and no issues so I guess if it's out of balance with the new wheel, it's not out enough to hurt anything.

#8 ·
Ya that makes sense now that i think about it. I dont know much about the turbos, should it be rebuilt as long as ive got it out? Id rather do it right the first time, ive got 120,000 miles on the truck

#10 ·
Stroker, as long as it spins in the compressor housing and doesn't hit anything, you should be ok. And while your doing the wheel you should think about the housing also. To take care of the turbo surge. And the job is pretty simple, took me about an hour to do the wheel and housing.:thumb:

#11 ·
The wheel will help eliminate surge
The housing will eliminate surge.

If you are doing the housing no need to replace the wheel, it is a waste of money.

#12 ·
has anyone put the wheel and housing on. because i am already buying the wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.