Newbie help with Mods? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie help with Mods?

Hello All, I am a new powerstroke owner and obviously new to the forum. I recently bought a 99 F350 crew cab xlt 4x4 w/ a completely stock 7.3 and 126K miles w/ auto trans. The truck runs great and is a pleasure to drive. I think I'll put new glow plugs in it soon as they are supposedly the originals and it doesn't like starting on really cold mornings.
I took it on a road trip right after I bought it and only got about 15 -16 mpg. Of course I was moderately loaded down with gear (no trailer) and cruising at about 80mph. I've heard about tons of modifications that folks do to these motors, none of which I have the slightest clue about. I'm just looking for some advise and expertise on what's out there that might fit my needs.
First of all, I have no desire to spend $10K to get 500hp and race at the local drag strip. Actually I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm wondering what are the most dependable and quality mods that can be done to increase fuel mileage without sacrificing dependability and longevity of the engine. Of course I'm not totally against a few more horses along the way!
I've been told to "chip" it by a friend of a friend. He even offered to sell me a used Livewire TS programmer. I do like the idea of having different settings for towing vs. economy, etc. But, then I started looking at different products and got totally lost. I've also been told to get bigger exhaust. But then there's turbo back vs. cat back? Not to mention intercoolers and intakes... (like I said, I'm a clueless newbie)
Soooo, I thought I would ask around and research a bit more before I decided on anything.
Go ahead and lay it on me! Whats out there? What would you do if you wanted to get better mileage? What are the best, most proven, quality modifications and manufacturers out there? Remember I'm a beginner so don't hesitate to show off your knowledge and learn me a thing or two. Also, you can leave out the acronyms please!
Thanks in advance for your advice/help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There is enough info here to teach you all you need to know.
Take some time and read back on some old threads.
Read all the stickies
Read the tech section
Use the search button.

Your truck is 14 years old and literally everything you could want to know has been covered 100 times.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:16 PM

6637 intake, chip for sure, exhaust and gauges. You will be happy with the results. But like Joel said there are plenty of threads on here to help. If you have any questions ill be happy to try to help
Old 05-30-2013, 02:39 PM

I don't know the rules here yet about posting links but here is a list that was compiled by spingerpop a while back. It's pretty good as far as covering all things 7.3.

Powerstroke Mods and Maintenance

I would definitely look in to the fuel system mods before anything since that is really a weak link in these trucks.

If I am in violation of any forums rules feel free to delete that link mods and it won't happen again.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks fellers, I have been doing some research on this and other sites and you're right, there are TONS of mods out there. Now I'm just trying to figure out which ones will suit my needs and which ones I can afford. I'm definitely gonna start with the hutch mod then probably a regulated return fuel system kit from strictly diesel. Then I think I'll get into the intake and exhaust part of it. I just wish I had endless piles of money laying around!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:54 PM

It's an addiction buddy. lol. Sometimes when I'm out with the lady and I spend some amount of money, I figure up in my head what it could have bought for my truck... tonight $28.37 on Mexican food. That's half the price of a set of clear clearance lights....
Old 05-31-2013, 08:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

^ Agree mods are addicting its crazy the money you can spend real quick.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:14 AM
Premium Member

Step 1. Gauges.
2 air in and out
3 turbo injectors and tuner.
5 tranny.
6 rob a bank
Sent from my VS930 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 06-05-2013, 05:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

as much as what everyone above said is correct.The 1st thing I suggest is making sure the truck is 100% healthy.I would get the Infinity from DP Tuner (here is a link)http://www.dp-tuner.com/dp-tuner-tv/...ty.html..Learn to monitor what the truck is doing and what it means..
Old 06-05-2013, 05:58 AM

Totally true.
Otherwise you're potentially masking small issues until they become big problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.