Which injectors? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 05:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which injectors?

Hey guys! I'm about to do some upgrading and need some oponions. I'm looking to upgrade to the D66 turbo for my early 99 and wanted to know what injectors you guys would recommend to go with them. I likely wont be going big oil but might upgrade the HPOP to the 17* or....is there a big single? As for how I use the truck. I mostly just drive it, I dont haul much weigh (10k max) nor do I haul often. I'm just tired of this thing running out of steam upstairs and having those pesky new Cumaparts pulling away. My current mods in sig Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You need to talk to earlystrokin99. I'm sure he'll be around soon.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:49 PM

Get the D66 Turbo, its sweet! Also a set of stage 2 single shots will increase your power like crazy. Thats my current setup. Before the stage 2's, my truck had no top end speed at all, not its a highway monster. Its crazy how quick the speedometer moves compaired to when I have stock injectors. I would say 50mph to 100mph is only a couple seconds, its nuts. I love it.

Oh and as posted earlier, strokin_early_99 (Howard) is very knowledgeable to talk to about the early 99's because these trucks are a little bit different that the late 99-03's. Whether you believe it or not, there are several differences both mechanical and electrical with these early birds.

Last edited by PSDfan99; 02-08-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDfan99 View Post
Get the D66 Turbo, its sweet! Also a set of stage 2 single shots will increase your power like crazy. Thats my current setup. Before the stage 2's, my truck had no top end speed at all, not its a highway monster. Its crazy how quick the speedometer moves compaired to when I have stock injectors. I would say 50mph to 100mph is only a couple seconds, its nuts. I love it.

Oh and as posted earlier, strokin_early_99 (Howard) is very knowledgeable to talk to about the early 99's because these trucks are a little bit different that the late 99-03's. Whether you believe it or not, there are several differences both mechanical and electrical with these early birds.
Thats encouraging! I see you have a DIY stage 2 injector, is there somewhere I can get info on how to do it and whats needed? I'm all about cheap, not that anything on these beasts are cheap! LOL
Old 02-08-2008, 07:33 PM

diy-injectors.com is the site for the injectors. Jim Rose is the guy who owns the business and he's a great guy. Just call him and talk with him about your possible options for an injector upgrade and your ultimate power goals are. The D66 turbo is rated for nothing over stage 2's and 40psi, so if your going to go HUGE power, 450-500hp then you'll want another turbo, but another turbo besides the D66 would require you to change a bunch of stuff on your truck to get it to work. I am still haveing a few tuning issues with my DIY's, trying to get a smooth idle and I think I'll have that problem resolved on monday when I try another chip with different tunes. I give the DIY injectors 2 big thumbs up! Do some research on them and look at pictures and exploded diagrams of injectors so you kind of know what your getting into, but if your mechanically inclined and have a half a brain in your head, they are very easy to build once you build the first few injectors. Feel free to keep asking ?'s
Old 02-08-2008, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of questions from here on in. I think the D66 will be fine for what I'm wanting. I was hoping to be in the 400-450hp range as I'm not sure as to what the stock internals will take. There are just so many choices for injectors that it gets confusing. I want to make the right choice the first time. There's nothing worse than spending the $ twice.

One more thing, I'm assuming from your post above, with the DIY's you had to change tuning? Not a big deal, just part of the puzzle. When it comes to injectors I dont know what will require re-tune and what wont.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:03 PM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well, it looks like the other took good care of you in my absence. The D66 with stage 2 injectors will get you to 400hp real easy and then some to spare. The stock internals of the early99 will take the power you are after, not a problem. The DIY injectors are single shot injectors and Jody can reburn your chip with the proper tuning, he does it all the time.

Be sure to change out the up pipe donuts(gaskets) to keep the drive pressure in the up pipes when you do the turbo. The CCV mod should be done to make sure you can keep the boots on under high boost. That about sums it up.

Keep Strokin'
Old 02-09-2008, 01:27 AM

Have you regeared your rearend?? If not then may I suggest you do that first. It will take a bunch of work off the tranny and the engine.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:20 AM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Regrearing is a huge expense if you don't tow. Now that is coming from a guy that tows all the time, in fact I just threw the hitch on the truck and am about to hitch up my 10K trailer for a 800mile round trip run to Disneyland for 2 days. Oh yah, and I run 35's on stock gears, I tow in D and save OD for unloaded driving. It tows better then it did with stock tires.

My $.02 on regearing
Old 02-09-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin_early_99 View Post
Well, it looks like the other took good care of you in my absence. The D66 with stage 2 injectors will get you to 400hp real easy and then some to spare. The stock internals of the early99 will take the power you are after, not a problem. The DIY injectors are single shot injectors and Jody can reburn your chip with the proper tuning, he does it all the time.

Be sure to change out the up pipe donuts(gaskets) to keep the drive pressure in the up pipes when you do the turbo. The CCV mod should be done to make sure you can keep the boots on under high boost. That about sums it up.

Keep Strokin'
Thanks a bunch for the info. I'll look into the CCV mod as well when doing all of this. I'll be checking tomorrow to see what kind of pressure my HPOP is working at, hopefully an upgrade wont be needed there before I can get started on the rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.