2002 Excursion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 Excursion

Hello, brand new here, recently bought a 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3 after I sold my Cummins. I have worked on Powerstrokes before but never owned one. I am familiar with some mods and this truck has some. Garrett GTP 38r turbo, 4in lift with 315's, ATS converter and clutches. My question is this, I have the Edge Juice w/Attitude as I did on my Cummins. The only thing is, The truck came with the Diablosport Predator as well. I plugged it in and it is set to the 85hp setting. My assumption is that they are stacked. I thought about removing the predator but the truck runs well as is. Does anyone know or had success with these two? I don't want to mess the Edge up by removing the predator. I guess that the edge is more of a computer fooler as the predator is a programmer? I think the truck runs high egts even without a load, of course I was used to an inline 6 cylinder on my Dodge. By the way truck has 4in straight pipe for exhaust. Thanks, any help would be appreciated. As far as I know it has stock injectors.

Last edited by diggerfan99; 04-10-2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to PSD POWER007
Me personally, having experience with both the Edge and Predator, I'd sell off both and get a DP Tuner or PHP chip. They will provide so much more in depth control of the engine and transmission. It will make a night and day difference in how the truck performs. Plus with those, the tuning can be tweaked for your specific mods.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea, if I would have done it myself, I would have done it different. But I do like the way it runs the way it is. I was just wondering if having the predator stacked with the edge was advancing the timing so much that it is causing high egt's. Like I said, maybe a powerstroke has high egt's compared to a cummins. Seems to me that even if I keep the two stacked I may not be taking full advantage being that I have stock injectors. I have the Garrett gtp38r so I do like that. The truck is straight piped and I also wonder if installing a full exhaust will give me a little more torque?
Old 04-13-2013, 02:23 PM

you cant stack chips/programmer on a powerstroke.
edge and diablo programmers are known for high egts and being rather hard on transmissions.
how do you know you have a 38r? did you check it out or did the previous owner tell you he put one on.
with a gtp38r you should see lower egts than a stock turbo. the stock turbo on these is a gtp38.
but their is a host of things that could cause high egts
i would check up pipes, intercooler boots to see if you have a boost leak.

also if you dont already have a cold air intake i would do the DIY 6637 or ford AIS intake. that will give you better air flow.

Last edited by blue99stroker; 04-13-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post
you cant stack chips/programmer on a powerstroke.
edge and diablo programmers are known for high egts and being rather hard on transmissions.
how do you know you have a 38r? did you check it out or did the previous owner tell you he put one on.
with a gtp38r you should see lower egts than a stock turbo. the stock turbo on these is a gtp38.
but their is a host of things that could cause high egts
i would check up pipes, intercooler boots to see if you have a boost leak.

also if you dont already have a cold air intake i would do the DIY 6637 or ford AIS intake. that will give you better air flow.
The reason I say it is a 38r is that I talked to the guy who ordered it for the owner and thats what he said it was, also said it was bigger than stock so I assume that he is correct. So what you are saying is that one of the two, is not working, either the edge or the predator? I like the edge and would like to keep it, if I need to dump one it will be the predator. I assume by removing the predator, it will not affect the edge? The truck has a quadzilla open filter on it but I need to replace it cause it wasn't properly maintained. I will check the intercooler and turbo boots. This all maybe moot because as I said before I was used to a cummins engine and any powerstroke I have driven in the past had no gauges. Should I take the predator down to just using it for the shift adjustments?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, another question, I had a Fass fuel system on my cummins and was planning on installing one on this truck. From what I read on here, I would be better off installing a regulated return? So I don't need to upgrade the stock pump if I do this?
Old 04-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did finally get around to finding out that I had some misinformation on the turbo. It is actually a High Tech turbo HTT31700. It is not ball bearing but does have a 88mm like the 38r. And to answer my own question on the above post, I now understand how the regulated return works. Anyone running that High Tech 31700? Starting to think this post is more talking to myself than anything.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:34 PM

ya i would take the predator off.
the 6637 filter is cheap and filters good plenty of air flow.
or the ford AIS is good.
regulated returns are good. you dont really need to do it unless you are planning like stage 2 injectors 425+ hp.
and ya you can keep the stock pump.

htt turbos arent bad, just journal bearings instead of ball bearings.
the specs are close so just run it

oh and how high are your egts getting?
mine are usually around 600 driving around cruising. WOT i can get up to 1200-1300 degrees.
you can run 1200 degrees no problem.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

[QUOTE=blue99stroker;5030922]ya i would take the predator off.
the 6637 filter is cheap and filters good plenty of air flow.
or the ford AIS is good.
regulated returns are good. you dont really need to do it unless you are planning like stage 2 injectors 425+ hp.
and ya you can keep the stock pump.

htt turbos arent bad, just journal bearings instead of ball bearings.
the specs are close so just run it

oh and how high are your egts getting?
mine are usually around 600 driving around cruising. WOT i can get up to 1200-1300 degrees.
you can run 1200 degrees no problem.[/QUOT

That helps alot, I think I will remove the predator and see how she runs. Those egts your describing sound right on the money with what I am running. The cruising ones at about 70-75mph get up around 800 degrees though. So if I decide to sell off the Edge and the Predator, sounds like everyone on here is very happy with the DP setup. Could you tell me which one I would want given the larger turbo, 4'" exhaust and 315 tires. Tranny is beefed up as well with a larger tranny cooler. Looked at some of the stuff on the site, but not sure what I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.