Auto vs manual turbo selection - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Auto vs manual turbo selection

Hey guys and gals,

Im in the market for a new turbo( because mine just blew) for my rig and looking for the best fit. It does have a zf6 tranny and I'm not sure if turbo selection changes because it has a manual. If so, could someone school me on what the differences would be making my selection, please.

I should include that this truck has become my weekend warrior truck puller(still gets driven anywere from 100-300 miles to the pulls and any long distance road trips) and my plans are to hit the 501 hp benchmark eventually(I know that head studs,valve sprins, a RR, and fuel sticks are needed but that's not in the budget for now).

So for now, the way I see it, I could drop in a 38r ( i have heard of some guys hitting 500 hp with it) or go to a t4i setup. I'm not knowledgable enough to know if I have to go with a t4i setup just yet. I was thinking I could run a 38r for now and sell it used to help pay for later upgrades, but if there is a better turbo option that uses a t4i mount I'd put that on and change the turbo when I start pumping serious fuel.

I hope I'm not asking to many questions at once and hope I'm providing enough information for this to make sense of what I'm trying to accomplish. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this and offers any helpfully advice.

While on the subject, anyone ceramic coat there turbo? Worth it?
Who has the best deal on a 38r? On a t4i setup?

Thanks again for any advice!!! Trying to learn about this more in depth and I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time, I just haven't found any specific threads on turbo selection for a Handshaker.

Godspeed

Kevin A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
whether its auto or 6sp, turbos' the same.

I thought i remember reading about the "endless" possibilities with the s366 turbo/t4 set-up. 1 being, its rebuildable. "the kit", comes with bellowed up pipes, so even if you did the 38r, and eventually wanted bellows, you'd still spend the extra 500 buks, equalling out, what the t4/s366 setup cost.

Buy Online | Irate Diesel Performance LLC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.