Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

early 99 compressor wheel

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  blue99stroker 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so at wide open throttle my EGT's will spike over 1250 but only for a second (using edge evo for monitoring). So i know that's no bueno. I've checked for leaks and all, don't seem to be any. So I'm thinking its about time to either rebuild the turbo or get a new compressor wheel.
After doing some reading around on here, I'm seeing that early 99's already have something very similar to gen 1 wicked wheel. So i guess my question is
Would the gen 2 Wicked Wheel give me any improvements on a stock turbo?

Eventually I would like to move up to a H2E or 38R but that's out of the question at the moment, see as I'm transition out the military and back to broke college kid status.

Other mods: stage one single shot 175/100 i believe, diy 6637 intake, dp tuner 5 pos., ccv, 5" exhaust... I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting.

#2 ·
With 175/100s and a stock turbo, 1250* at WOT isn't bad , IMO. Just don't hold it there too long.

As far as the turbo goes, a 38r won't be a bolt in turbo due to the truck being a E99. A D66 would be bolt in.

#3 ·
It occasionally spikes to 1400* at WOT but I get off the throttle as soon as I see it spiking above 1250*. Which is why I'm thinking Wicked Wheel 2, a little more air flow help cool down those EGT's?

As for the 38r or H2E, i know it won't bolt on and the D66 will. However, the 38R to me seems to have more potential in the long run if I decide to look for more power in injectors, tunes, etc etc etc. What do you guys think?

Or if you guys have any other opinions on turbos for an E99 or 99.5 after or if i do the conversion.

#4 ·
dieselsite is offering the gen 2 wicked wheel for the d66.
so that should make it perfect unless you want 450+ hp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.