Did I do the right thing?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 05:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did I do the right thing??

I was having some trouble with my 99 F350. It seems as though everytime I went down a hill and clicked the O/D off the truck about shut off from the sound of the engine. The RPM's wouldn't rev up at all and it wouldn't shift down and hold you back. So I took it to the Ford garage.

Once there they were unable to hook their computer up to run thier tests and see what was going on because I had a Bully dog chip (I didn't know nothing about this because I bought the truck used). So the first thing they wanted to do was put it back to stock. Not knowing what to do I went along with it.

After changing back to stock, replacing the CAM sensor (twice) and the IPR everything seems to be fine as far as how it runs. Could the chip have been causing the problem with going down hill

Here is my problem: I haul a 32 foot horse trailer (empty weight over 6000) in the hills of north central PA and since I went back to stock I really miss the power I had before. Haulign the trailer empty I can only go up hills at like 50 with my foot to the floor and I used to be able to top them at like 65 with some pedal left. Everyone tells me to leave it stock and slow down but I really liked the power. Should I stick with stock or change to something else? I didn't have any additional guages and I see a lot of talk on here about them was this something that should have been installed?

Also this morning I developed a leak in the muffler and have to think about a new one any suggestions on a good one? Sorry for the lengthy post and all the questions I just want to learn and I am not mechanical. I just want to have a dependable truck to haul down the road with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 05:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did I do the right thing??

I was having some trouble with my 99 F350. It seems as though everytime I went down a hill and clicked the O/D off the truck about shut off from the sound of the engine. The RPM's wouldn't rev up at all and it wouldn't shift down and hold you back. So I took it to the Ford garage.

Once there they were unable to hook their computer up to run thier tests and see what was going on because I had a Bully dog chip (I didn't know nothing about this because I bought the truck used). So the first thing they wanted to do was put it back to stock. Not knowing what to do I went along with it.

After changing back to stock, replacing the CAM sensor (twice) and the IPR everything seems to be fine as far as how it runs. Could the chip have been causing the problem with going down hill

Here is my problem: I haul a 32 foot horse trailer (empty weight over 6000) in the hills of north central PA and since I went back to stock I really miss the power I had before. Haulign the trailer empty I can only go up hills at like 50 with my foot to the floor and I used to be able to top them at like 65 with some pedal left. Everyone tells me to leave it stock and slow down but I really liked the power. Should I stick with stock or change to something else? I didn't have any additional guages and I see a lot of talk on here about them was this something that should have been installed?

Also this morning I developed a leak in the muffler and have to think about a new one any suggestions on a good one? Sorry for the lengthy post and all the questions I just want to learn and I am not mechanical. I just want to have a dependable truck to haul down the road with.

Thanks for any input anyone has.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:26 AM
Banned

MBRP, Magnaflow and Silverline make some real nice 4" exhaust for your truck. They also have muffler delete pipes if you wish to go that route. As far as tuning, you should look into a flip chip with DP tuning or TWildman. If you don't have them already you should have at least an EGT gauge and tranny temp gauge when towing with the truck tuned.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Get a Set of gauges, Isspro is what I prefer... A Good slectable chip, DP or TW, and you can do a muffler delete for about $50 or a full turbo back system for about $300... PM me if you want I know a place that is having a sale on exhaust systems.

AFE SS for $340 shipped...

DieselManor - Taking the Mystery out of Diesel Performance™ for gauges...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.