7.3 vs 6.0 chevy vs Ecoboost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 04:48 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 vs 6.0 chevy vs Ecoboost

First off, I know, racing is stupid, and REALLY hard on stuff.
To the point; I bought a 2002 BONE STOCK F250 CCLB with a 7.3L (245,000 miles). I bought it because I pull a smallish trailer (8-10,000 lbs) on a fairly regular basis. It fits my needs perfectly and I routinely get good MPG while empty and loaded. Its a big, slow, beautiful pig.

Anyway, I have a friend at work that insists that his 6.0l Chevy gasser (2003 2500HD CCSB - bone stock, 85,000 miles) will pull just as well as my 7.3l with my loads, and is faster/more fun to drive. I also have a buddy with a Ecoboost (Brand new CCSB, bone stock) that also insists his Ecoboost will pull my loads just as well and be faster/more fun to drive, etc.

Anyway, being that I am stock, I know I don't stand a chance in a flat out sprint, but I also think Id get them if we timed sprints pulling the trailer. But, my big question is, what would I need to get them while empty? I'm thinking that the usual Intake, Exhaust, Tuner would keep me with both those knuckleheads, maybe behind the ecoboost, but Im certain that wont pull the trailer NEARLY as well as my 7.3. I just want to make them shut their traps. I already got them on 'price paid' by a lot (I paid less than half what was given for the chevy, and we all can google what a new ecoboost costs), so I have a little play room to upgrade and still tout that. If the usual doesn't cut it, I'd still have some room to custom tune the chip, and go with some 160/80's, regulated return, and a turbo. But I don't need to have a speed demon, especially not on PMR's. I just want to know if I can show them the ol' girl is better than they think.

Any input/suggestions would be appreciated. I already have guages on the way, so the most basic upgrade has been completed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

probably will pull like the 7.3, but how long and far is a different story.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You probably cant beat either of them without some decent amount of $$. Remind them that pulling a load is also about the weight of the truck and controlling the trailer, and being able to stop it without warping the rotors. Then laugh at their cute little spark plug trucks
Old 03-31-2013, 09:12 PM

Pull out the owners manual. Neither of them can legally tow as much you can.
The eco-boost not even close. Eco-boost is overrated
And a chevy is just gross. I know because I owned one once upon a time
Old 03-31-2013, 10:30 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

i don't know much about the ecoboost but the 6.0 gm is a great motor. it will kill you in a race unloaded or loaded with 10,000lbs but will get about 60% of the mileage of your 7.3.

the 5.3/6.0 gm engines and transmissions are very strong and reliable combinations after the bad run of 350's from the '90's. the rest of the truck isn't worth talking about though.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:25 AM

my dad had a 6.0 gm 2500 hd we pulled our tractor 25ft goose neck , dump trailer it never looked back our struggled very stout gas guzzling engine . yes u can legally pull more but were im from if u can get it rolling thats all that matters lol
Old 04-01-2013, 02:09 AM

Don't know much about the 6.0l Chevy; however, the 3.5 Eco is a solid performer when it comes to performance/towing. You will have to spend some serious coin to keep up.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:21 AM

Eh, that's what I was afraid of. Oh well, Ill just keep telling them what kind of mileage I get empty and towing and they can keep telling me how fast they are. Thanks for the input guys!

P.S. on the comments about the ecoboost, if I were looking for a travel "car" that would probably be what I'd look at, they are a nice DD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.