Where to go from here - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where to go from here

Hello everyone, New poster, but long time reader.

My 01 7.3L already has the banks power pack package, the big towing-setup. Boost gets right up to 24lbs, but will not hold for more than a few seconds. Then drops off. I want to be able to tow heavy (upwards fo 20K) twice a year (it's a 550), but want good drivability and accational fun the rest of the time. I also have the gearvenders under/over in it. Well, two injectors (according to ford shop) are starting to go. I want fun, but mainly longevity and big time reliability. My head is spinning over all the reading on injectors. Stange 1 though 3. I currently get 19.8mpg with my 9.8Klbs rig on the highway with no added load. average 16 with 40' inclosed car trailer.

First, what system or injector upgrade is recomended? Also, for that power drop off, I've been told it's the original ford fuel delivery, and that it can't keep up with the mods? I'm been looking at the AIRDOG HP FUEL SYSTEM-1999-03 FORD 7.3L PS DIESEL.

The Banks system was installed before got the rig, so I do not know if the system is or isnot also chipped.

Ideas?

Once rig is finished, I will post it up. Shes a monster.

Thanks, Dean

01 F550 Eclipes "Thoroughbred" Super Hauler
7.3 PSD, Banks PowerPack® system
4" Banks Monster exhaust
DynaFact® piller gauges
4.88 rear, E4OD w/ added Gearvenders OD
Trax dual tank setup (75gal)
Oversized rear air ride custom setup
15ton cap GVW-9.8Klbs

Last edited by Brickhouse; 01-27-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Signature added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Your statement about boost to 24 then drops off after just a few seconds sounds like you have an intake leak to me. I had this same problem with my 98 CTD. Someone there told me to introduce compressed air about 15 psi into the air intake system. I used regulated air pressure with a quick disconnect coupler and a polyureathane puck the diameter of the hose just pasted the turbo. Without the engine running I could hear and fix the leaks. Loose hose clamps. Good Luck
Old 01-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

I will see what it does once it comes out of the shop. It just received a whole new OEM air box and banks intercooler kit. All lines, tubs, and clamps just replaced.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:05 PM

all that banks crap and no aftermarket intake? banks is big bucks, when you start modding more or replacing, you should replace with some other stuff. no need to stick with banks unless you got money burning a hole in your pocket.

that airdog is just a fuel air separator system. Not sure how good of a company airdog is though.

Last edited by sirnunya; 01-27-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:13 PM
The Fat Mod

That is some great MPG. Wish I was getting that. Did an exhaust come with all of that. I think it did but I figured I would check.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Albie30 Send a message via Yahoo to Albie30
Towing a 40' trailer your gettin 16mpg. Most people are not getting that empty
Old 01-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

The MPG boost came mainly after we had the gearvenders installed. The rigs 4.88 rear is great for towing, but everyday no load was bad. I figured an easy % for each OD (not mathmatically correct, but sounds close anough for gov work). Ford OD on the E4OD lets say is 30% over, then I would call the gearvenders 20% OD. Use either or / or both depending on driving conditions, speed, etc. With both on, the rig would go 100 at about 2850 rpm. 3100 pulling a 69 mustang coupe on open trailer. at under 900egts

As for aftermarket intake or air box. I was discusing that with GaleBanks Techs on what they recomended to compliment thier system. Even though they have thier own air box setup, they told me to save my money, that the original Ford box was fine, and thier testing reveild negligable results with my current setup. They said for an all out racer, with other mods, then maybe more air would be needed. But for still being able to be a tow rig, to save the cash.

Here's a pic from August. Whole front end being changed right now (hood, grill, bumper, airdam....)

Added question: I was just reading other tread "Is this boost fooler worth it" My PWR drop after reaching 24psi, could this be the "defueling process" as mentioned? Never heard of that. With what I have already installed, would it be a good thing to add the "Overboost Annihilator"? When the boost drops off, it slowly falls to about 14psi. After about 30 second, it will slowly come back up. It kind of felt and sounded like fuel starvation. Hence asking about airdog system. Also, with this treads reading it talked about the SES coming on. I was under the empression (as told by shop) that some time one, and some times two injectors were failing. After about 30 miles, this injector and SES situation goes away. When the SES comes on after starting in the morning, it really has no power. Sounds bad and all. Just like it's down an injector or two. What are you thoughts? Could there be something ells going on here? She's only got 52K miles on her.

01 F550 Eclipes "Thoroughbred" Super Hauler
7.3 PSD, Banks PowerPack® system
4" Banks Monster exhaust
DynaFact® piller gauges
4.88 rear, E4OD w/ added Gearvenders OD
Trax dual tank setup (75gal)
Oversized rear air ride custom setup
15ton cap GVW-9.8Klbs

Last edited by Brickhouse; 01-27-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: signature added
Old 01-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First of all how are you figuring the mileage? Hand calculated or off the overhead?

When you say your pulling that load at under 900 degree's, with the Banks powerpack, I'm pretty sure you have a post turbo pyro, which you can add another 400 degrees to get a more accurate preturbo reading, which means your running it too hot.

You have an 01, you have powdered metal rods, which means you will be limited as to how many ponies you can add via injectors. If you want a absolute mean trailer pulling beast then I would suggest adding this to what you already have.

1. stage 1 injectors
2. bigger turbo
3. aftermarket hpop system
4. custom chip

You are prolly correct on why it won't hold at 24 or more boost but I would suggest you check for leaks as a previous poster suggested.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twildman View Post
First of all how are you figuring the mileage? Hand calculated or off the overhead?
MPG was highway, and was an over all two way just over 1600mile run each way to get the trailer (about, as that papers are gone now) Hand calculated average using logged miles and fill slips. Just south of Fresno to 80 miles south of Abaleen (spelling?) Tx, three ranges. Not the greatest or most accurate calcluation. plus trailer was empty. And 75gal tank makes for long back killing runs.

Local MPG of course will be much lower, but have not done that as yet. Had a bit of a boobo in September, and rigs not back yet. Few more weeks.

Quote:
When you say your pulling that load at under 900 degree's, with the Banks powerpack, I'm pretty sure you have a post turbo pyro, which you can add another 400 degrees to get a more accurate preturbo reading, which means your running it too hot.
This bothers me. Where do I look to see where the pyro is hooked in, and where should it be located? Could a standard shop fix this if in the wrong location so I get accurate readings? Why have a guage if it's not hooks up correctly. I want be doing anymore heavy loads for about 6 months, yet still, best to be safe and get it done.

Quote:
You have an 01, you have powdered metal rods, which means you will be limited as to how many ponies you can add via injectors. If you want a absolute mean trailer pulling beast then I would suggest adding this to what you already have.

1. stage 1 injectors
2. bigger turbo
3. aftermarket hpop system
4. custom chip

You are prolly correct on why it won't hold at 24 or more boost but I would suggest you check for leaks as a previous poster suggested.

As for the recomended mods.
1. stage 1 injectors (ok)
2. bigger turbo (whos, recomendation, size?)
3. aftermarket hpop system (whos, recomendation)
4. custom chip (ok)

I've read about Total Diesel Performance and You all over this forum. The TDP site only lists stage IIs', and no turbo options. Any unlisted over there? Packages for this setup. Chat later?

So that was a nogo for the Overboost Annihilator and boost tube mods?

I'm not going for a racer, even though the looks are heading that way. But I would like a bit more fun unloaded, but don't want to hurt her for the long run. WAY to much already invested here, and I will have to keep her for ever. No investment recoop going to happen.

Quick clearification: The psi drop situation only happends if I gun it up to 24, like passing. Normal acceleration is find and holds when reaching 24psi. The SES and injector problem happends about 70% of the time after it sits (goes cold, or over night). Not as in outside temp. But when normal starting and warm up. Then after driving about 30 or more miles, it runs great.

Thanks for the help. I will stop by the shop and look for the probes location.

Last edited by Brickhouse; 01-27-2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: better data
Old 01-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
As to where to look for the egt probe. If you see a probe mounted in the exhaust downpipe thats post turbo. you dont want it there. Pre turbo is usually mounted in the drivers side exhaust manifold.

As for the custom chip look at Tony Wildman he posted above, or Jody at DP Tuner is another option. They are both awesome tuners. The only reason i went with Jody over Tony is I already had an SCT and last i heard Tony doesnt tune them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.