Turbo improvements - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 05:59 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo improvements

Hey all, So i will get right to it. I am getting new injectors and going through some turbo rebuild.

Stock turbo, rebuild kit...EBPV delete housing and pedastal, WW2, and I got a BD larger wastegate...however I am looking at Riffraff diesel's 1.15 A/R non-wastegate housing and possibly a new compressor side housing.

Question is: is the non-wastegate housing a good idea? or does the wastegate provide some sort of safety function esp running larger injectors. A larger compressor side housing seems like a no-brainer good idea, and so did the exhaust housing, however, will eliminating the wastegate have any negative effects? Would you recommend a larger wastegate and keeping the stock exhaust housing or going with the larger exhaust housing?

Housing I am talking about is: Riffraff Diesel: Garrett 38R "BB" 1.15 A/R Exhaust Housing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 06:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm running a van turbo, which has a 1.15 exhaust housing and it spools SLOW.
Truck runs real smooth and has basically no EBP at 65 mph though so I like that.

Fill out your sig with what's already done to your truck. Then we can help you better.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:10 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Didn't PHP prove that you can make more HP with the 1.0 housing on the 38R, I would save your money on the extra housing.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 AM

Im not sure about the PHP determination. I am just unsure about removing the wastegate all together or using the larger BD wastegate with a stock housing. I have about set on getting a larger compressor housing. Just curious if EGT issues dictate I should get the exhaust housing minus wastegate.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 AM

So I found someone running the stage 3 hybrids (250cc) same truck as mine. Has the gen 2 WW and 1.15 exhaust side housing saying the turbo is keeping up great no surge or exhuast brake feeling. Looks like thats what I will be going with and save the cash of the compressor side housing.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:47 AM

Ill have to find the thread but I am pretty sure that during the testing, that boost was lost, and like 40-50 hp was lost with going with the bigger exhaust housing. EGT's and backpressure was negligable.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 AM

yeah if you can find the listing of data backing that I would be greatly appreciative. Seems like the wastegate generally is useless for those larger injectors. So maybe at stock or small injectors that housing excells but at the larger injectors the bigger 1.15 does. I am not sure at all though. I am going to test drive the rig today to see if I like the performance with the setup I listed.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:26 AM

here you go.
Garrett 38R 1.0 vs 1.15 dyno test - PowerStrokeArmy
Old 03-26-2013, 10:49 AM

hmm that is very interesting. It seems the bigger change in that data is from the compressor wheel. When you look at it whichever housing that has the stock wheel that one generates more boost. So really the HP is greatest in with a stock wheel and 1.0 housing in that data. although when you look at the boost the 1.15 housing with stock wheel had tied for same max boost. The lower HP seems strange to me.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:54 AM

I can't see why it would be biased in any ways, its not like he makes a housing for the turbo. I have read on other posts pretty much the same information, that the housing is over rated and not really much of a gain. I was gonna buy one as well, but just went with the ww2 and waitin on injector money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.