HPOP Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP Question

I have the mods done that are in my sig. I just ordered a dp with th 80 tow, 80econ, and the 140. I have read that I may have hesitation with the 140 because my HPOP cant keep up. first of all, is this true? Second, will it cause damage if i run it? And third if I do have that hesitation what is the cheapest solution. I have some other stuff I have to put my money towards now, (something about being responsible or some crap like that)? Is there such a thing as just a new HPOP with a higher pressure or an upgrade or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Cynic

hpop's hardly ever wear out, usually the IPR will go bad first. And to answer your question, yes, your hpop may have issues keeping up with the 140. The 120 shouldn't (SHOULDN'T) give you problems with the 17* pump.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to 4everlearning
to keep this on the home page. I am not certian. so ill let someone who knows more answere.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:43 AM

so is there any solution to fix it without spending 2 grand
Old 01-24-2008, 08:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to 4everlearning
adding another hpop and running duells
Old 01-24-2008, 08:44 AM

how much is that?
Old 01-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Cynic

Short answer, no. There are new single HPOP "big oil" setups coming out or on the market now. If I were to go to a single HPOP (which I wouldn't at this point), I like the pulse unit by Bob Reilly at dieselsite. I would get a DIY big oil and get another 17 or 15 degree pump. You will be able to find a 15* pump cheaper and will be able to supply all the oil your injectors need.

But I would go ahead and get the 140 setting if you want. You may not have any problems. Remember that each truck is different and we can only give you guide lines. If you told me you had larger injectors.. then your only choice is going with big oil. Either way you look at it.. you have to pay to play.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:50 AM

Haha I hear that dirk. Unfortunately my little lady doesnt haha. So what do you thin it would cost and what is involved in doing the dual setup
Old 01-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Cynic

Hard to say. DIY kit will run you $600-1000 depending. You will need to shop around, maybe you can find a used one (not likely). Then find a 15 or 17 pump. I stole a 17* pump for 150 shipped.

This is what I did...

Think about your final goal.. where you want to be at the end. Write out everything you will need to get there. This will take A LOT of reading and studying up on the metric f*** ton of info on this site. Once you get a good understanding, build the foundation. Exhaust? Check. Intake? Check. Gauges? Check. And so on...

Remember that the 7.3 lives and dies by the HPOP. If you don't have 2600+ psi pushing the injectors, you may or may not be getting all the fuel into the cylinders. When you start messing with a high output chip (or injectors), you change the whole game.

If you are second guessing the decision of getting a 140 tune, I would go to the 120.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Don't forgot to buy a overboost annihilator. I like the ITP one. Get it from Dennis at ITP or Jody at DP-Tuner.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:06 AM

Well if it runs good i am fine with it. Would a fuel pressure gauge be something worth getting. Would that shed some light on the situation of wether i need the second hpop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.