Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

WOW.....

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  lamarmathis 
#1 ·
so i just did the 10k mod with a 5.6k resistor. WOW, what a freaking difference!!!!!:woot::thumb::icon_ford: this thing rocks. for less than 20 cents, my truck will MOVE. (a pack of 5 costs a dollar at radio shack, and i had the solder and gun already). but my question is, being that i used the 5.6k, is there any negatives to this mod. my setup is currently an '02, straight piped and an AirRaid intake. i don't have any gauges, however i'm a freaking grandpa when it comes to driving. i did the mod, just for simple fact of price and for towing, (every little bit helps, but i don't tow hardly ever). my foot almost never gets dumped into the floor. so here's my questions, i know there's a few, but just trying to keep my truck for awhile.

1. do i have to worry about every day driving EGT's? (remember, i'm a grandpa driver)
2. when i do tow something do i have to worry about anything? when i tow it's only for maybe 30 miles on flat ground. (live on the coast).
3. when i do punch it or tow something will i need to put it back to stock before i tow?
4. last question, is there much of a difference between the three, 5.6 10, and stock?

this mod is by far the best bang for the buck. i cannot beleive the difference. i chirped my 35's going into second gear!!!! thanks for the help with the questions in advance guys, i really appreciate it.

later,

Marine:icon_ford:

See less See more
#2 ·
bump, come on people help me out.....

#3 ·
:bump: heres all the help I have

#5 ·
Did you solder it into the wires? Cause all you have to do is unplug the ICP and insert the resistor into two of the connections.
I've heard of the 10K and 18K mods, Don't know about the 5.6Kmod though.
The 10K I did, definitely helped in the throttle response. My truck is programmed so I don't know the difference between this and stock, sorry.
I am not an expert on this, but I think you're probably ok with respect to EGT's on your day to day driving since you've opened it up on both ends, but I would not tow a whole lot without gauges.
You need gauges anyway so that you have an excuse to keep modding!

Good Luck, hope this helped a little

#6 ·
You should have gauges but if you drive like a grandpa youll be fine, andf if you do mash the throttle just dont stay on it very long.

#7 ·
thanks guys. i'm probably the only 24 yo with out a speeding ticket, that owned a toyota supra for 5 years. just ain't my thing, they make speed limits for a reason. but thanks for the help. my next thing is the high idle mod, then gauges. but on the Marine Corps paycheck it ain't easy to just go out and buy everything i want.:wink[3]:

thanks again,:thumb:

Marine

#9 ·
you should contact marc about becoming a military member! how do u do this mod i have heard about it but really didnt know how to do it. is this when u put a b b in some line? forddieseltweek tried to put a b b in my line on something but he couldnt find the right line cuz we was in a hurry. takes like 3/4 wrench i know that much.

#11 ·
I think the mod with the bb you're reffering to is the Fuel Pressure Regulator shim?here's a linkFPR shim

As far as how to do the 10K mod, Maintain has a good video on itHERE
Good Luck!

#10 ·
just an fyi driving like a grampa can run higher egts than lettin her eat in grampa mode you tend to lug the motor and that makes high egt let er run the airs flowin and the rpms are a little higher and the egts will lower . to a point that is get to the point that your standing on it theyre gonna rise find the happy median !

#12 ·
thanks, south paw. i was looking for that link. there's a whole lot of variations to the 10K mod. but the variation i used was just like Maintains video with the resistor being 5.6K instead of a 10K. i unplugged the sensor, bent the tabs of the 5.6K, stuck it in there, plugged it back in. cranked her up. no CEL. the idle is kind of retarded but for the difference it made, i can deal with the idle. it just goes to show me that i definitely want to get a chip.:thumb:

later,

Marine

#15 ·
not sure brother about your year. do a search on resistor. it pulls up some stuff about the 10k mod. it took me awhile to learn how to do it cause the search feature won't search for 10k or mod so you have to search for resistor. it's way easier than i made it out to be. so simple. just get a resistor from radio shack, plug it in and enjoy.

#16 ·
hey will it make i difference if i already have a chip?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.