New injectors...What kind of investment am I looking at? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-19-2013, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Chapter Director

 
Rammstein1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
New injectors...What kind of investment am I looking at?

What i said about, i have never been much of a performance mod person. I would probably look at about stage 2s if im doing that do i need a bigger turbo if i do that? Will my sct tunes need to be rewritten?

Local Jackass member Pat

Battle cry of every 6.0 owner out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by access_max View Post
With the issues fixed a 6.0 can run circles around a 7.3.
2000 F-350 7.3L ZF6
Standard 7.3 mods
SCT tuned
8" Fabtech lift 13" total
5:13 Gears
46" Goodyear MVTs Military takeoffs
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Ranch Hand front and rear bumper
On-board air W/Semi horns

1995 F-350 7.3L E4OD DRW
Standard 7.3 mods
PHP Hydra W/Tony Wildman tunes
160/0 Injectors
T-500 HPOP
E-fuel Conversion
West Coast mirrors
Rammstein1224 is offline  
post #2 of 8 Old 03-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Tj Krawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Western New York
Posts: 958
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You'll need custom tunes going to single shot injectors. IMO, if you drive sensibly, with good tuning, you could run the stock turbo. It's not an ideal setup, but it will work. It sounds like the WW G2 would do fairly well with stage 2s. A 38r would be better though.

I believe you will need an upgraded clutch to hold the added power.

Alan
2000 F-350 CC LB DRW 4x4 XLT Auto

- Intake
- Exhust
- ScanGauge
Tj Krawler is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 
Justin@DP-Tuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oakdale, CA
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 28 Times in 28 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
As stated, with any single shot injectors you will need the tunes adjusted.

In my opinion, I would say if you are going with stage 2's, you will need at least a 38R. You can have the injectors tuned down, but what is the point of getting stage 2 injectors if you cannot use them to their full potential?

DP-Tuner
For Your Tuning Needs
www.dp-tuner.com
Like us on Facebook!

Justin Bochmann
Sales and Technical Support
828-221-0076 ext.804
justin@dp-tuner.com
Justin@DP-Tuner is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 03-20-2013, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Chapter Director

 
Rammstein1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Ok so im looking at a tune reburn and a turbo. What advantages do stage 2s give besides more hp? Are there mpgs gains more torque etc?

Local Jackass member Pat

Battle cry of every 6.0 owner out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by access_max View Post
With the issues fixed a 6.0 can run circles around a 7.3.
2000 F-350 7.3L ZF6
Standard 7.3 mods
SCT tuned
8" Fabtech lift 13" total
5:13 Gears
46" Goodyear MVTs Military takeoffs
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Ranch Hand front and rear bumper
On-board air W/Semi horns

1995 F-350 7.3L E4OD DRW
Standard 7.3 mods
PHP Hydra W/Tony Wildman tunes
160/0 Injectors
T-500 HPOP
E-fuel Conversion
West Coast mirrors
Rammstein1224 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 
Justin@DP-Tuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oakdale, CA
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 28 Times in 28 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
Ok so im looking at a tune reburn and a turbo. What advantages do stage 2s give besides more hp? Are there mpgs gains more torque etc?
You may see slightly better mileage, but the main reason for them is to create more HP/TQ.

DP-Tuner
For Your Tuning Needs
www.dp-tuner.com
Like us on Facebook!

Justin Bochmann
Sales and Technical Support
828-221-0076 ext.804
justin@dp-tuner.com
Justin@DP-Tuner is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 03-21-2013, 12:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
dentexpowerstroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Denton, tx
Posts: 1,388
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner View Post
As stated, with any single shot injectors you will need the tunes adjusted.

In my opinion, I would say if you are going with stage 2's, you will need at least a 38R. You can have the injectors tuned down, but what is the point of getting stage 2 injectors if you cannot use them to their full potential?
Couldn't have said it better. Also to everyone saying get a WW2... WHY???? Changing a compressor wheel won't change the fact that the turbine side and shaft is to small, all it will do is give you better airflow if the turbo can already handle that much fuel, you aren't going to get a stock turbo to start handling big injectors by changing a compressor wheel. Having a turbo that is able to handle the injectors usually means that the turbine size has to be big enough, that's where most of the issues stem from not from lack of air.

Sold 2001 f250 ccsb 4x4 400/400, dual terminators, swamps 80mm bfh, headers, bts and all the usual supporting mods. 715hp fuel only.

06 f250 ccsb king ranch

12 f250 lariat ultimate
dentexpowerstroke is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 03-21-2013, 12:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 
Justin@DP-Tuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oakdale, CA
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 28 Times in 28 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentexpowerstroke View Post
Couldn't have said it better. Also to everyone saying get a WW2... WHY???? Changing a compressor wheel won't change the fact that the turbine side and shaft is to small, all it will do is give you better airflow if the turbo can already handle that much fuel, you aren't going to get a stock turbo to start handling big injectors by changing a compressor wheel. Having a turbo that is able to handle the injectors usually means that the turbine size has to be big enough, that's where most of the issues stem from not from lack of air.
Not to mention, the stock turbo is limited to what boost numbers it can safely handle because of the thrust bearings.

DP-Tuner
For Your Tuning Needs
www.dp-tuner.com
Like us on Facebook!

Justin Bochmann
Sales and Technical Support
828-221-0076 ext.804
justin@dp-tuner.com
Justin@DP-Tuner is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 03-21-2013, 12:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
dentexpowerstroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Denton, tx
Posts: 1,388
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner View Post
Not to mention, the stock turbo is limited to what boost numbers it can safely handle because of the thrust bearings.
Thank you, forgot about bearings in the post too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
Ok so im looking at a tune reburn and a turbo. What advantages do stage 2s give besides more hp? Are there mpgs gains more torque etc?
Forgot to also talk about this, yes you will get more hp. But I would rather have a high hp number and low torque number. Sure, it sounds cool to say you have xxxxft/lbs, but does it sound cool to call your buddy to tow you home? Torque is what break these motors, not necessarily with that small of an injector. Really, IMO if you want to run bigger injectors talk with your tuner about pulling fuel down low to limit torque and help them motor live. The reason I say this is I ran bigger numbers on a pmr block because instead of 12-1300ft/lbs (made up number, never have cared about torque) my truck would put down a lower torque number and be safer at a certain hp level.

Sold 2001 f250 ccsb 4x4 400/400, dual terminators, swamps 80mm bfh, headers, bts and all the usual supporting mods. 715hp fuel only.

06 f250 ccsb king ranch

12 f250 lariat ultimate

Last edited by dentexpowerstroke; 03-21-2013 at 01:01 AM.
dentexpowerstroke is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome