New injectors...What kind of investment am I looking at? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
New injectors...What kind of investment am I looking at?

What i said about, i have never been much of a performance mod person. I would probably look at about stage 2s if im doing that do i need a bigger turbo if i do that? Will my sct tunes need to be rewritten?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You'll need custom tunes going to single shot injectors. IMO, if you drive sensibly, with good tuning, you could run the stock turbo. It's not an ideal setup, but it will work. It sounds like the WW G2 would do fairly well with stage 2s. A 38r would be better though.

I believe you will need an upgraded clutch to hold the added power.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

As stated, with any single shot injectors you will need the tunes adjusted.

In my opinion, I would say if you are going with stage 2's, you will need at least a 38R. You can have the injectors tuned down, but what is the point of getting stage 2 injectors if you cannot use them to their full potential?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Ok so im looking at a tune reburn and a turbo. What advantages do stage 2s give besides more hp? Are there mpgs gains more torque etc?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
Ok so im looking at a tune reburn and a turbo. What advantages do stage 2s give besides more hp? Are there mpgs gains more torque etc?
You may see slightly better mileage, but the main reason for them is to create more HP/TQ.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:15 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner View Post
As stated, with any single shot injectors you will need the tunes adjusted.

In my opinion, I would say if you are going with stage 2's, you will need at least a 38R. You can have the injectors tuned down, but what is the point of getting stage 2 injectors if you cannot use them to their full potential?
Couldn't have said it better. Also to everyone saying get a WW2... WHY???? Changing a compressor wheel won't change the fact that the turbine side and shaft is to small, all it will do is give you better airflow if the turbo can already handle that much fuel, you aren't going to get a stock turbo to start handling big injectors by changing a compressor wheel. Having a turbo that is able to handle the injectors usually means that the turbine size has to be big enough, that's where most of the issues stem from not from lack of air.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentexpowerstroke View Post
Couldn't have said it better. Also to everyone saying get a WW2... WHY???? Changing a compressor wheel won't change the fact that the turbine side and shaft is to small, all it will do is give you better airflow if the turbo can already handle that much fuel, you aren't going to get a stock turbo to start handling big injectors by changing a compressor wheel. Having a turbo that is able to handle the injectors usually means that the turbine size has to be big enough, that's where most of the issues stem from not from lack of air.
Not to mention, the stock turbo is limited to what boost numbers it can safely handle because of the thrust bearings.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:56 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner View Post
Not to mention, the stock turbo is limited to what boost numbers it can safely handle because of the thrust bearings.
Thank you, forgot about bearings in the post too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
Forgot to also talk about this, yes you will get more hp. But I would rather have a high hp number and low torque number. Sure, it sounds cool to say you have xxxxft/lbs, but does it sound cool to call your buddy to tow you home? Torque is what break these motors, not necessarily with that small of an injector. Really, IMO if you want to run bigger injectors talk with your tuner about pulling fuel down low to limit torque and help them motor live. The reason I say this is I ran bigger numbers on a pmr block because instead of 12-1300ft/lbs (made up number, never have cared about torque) my truck would put down a lower torque number and be safer at a certain hp level.

Last edited by dentexpowerstroke; 03-21-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.