Unplug wastegate & getting familiar - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 07:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unplug wastegate & getting familiar

I was under the hood of my truck due to a dead battery (story posted in general area) and figured I would start poking around a little. I found my wastegate and decided to try unplugging it for a while. I routed the red tube back around and plugged it on a post next to where it started. Is that what most people do? or is there a better way? It looks ok I dont think it will kink or crack. It was about 20 degress and the hose was stiff, but looks ok to me.

I also started looking for a signs of a boost leak due to my attitude monitor never showing a very high boost. I looked at the bolts on the back of the turbo since I read posts of them coming loose. I could not see any loose or signs of soot. All the rubber boots to and from the intercooler look tight. There is signs of oil around the edges of them and dirt building up. Could that be a leak that was fixed or that its still loosing pressure?

I also started looking at the intake decideing weheter to try the Zoodad mod or not. I am leaning towards giving it a try. Even if it causes some problems it wouldnt be that hard to patch back up.

Sorry the post kinda wanders but let me know about the red hose from the wastegate or places to start on a boost leak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

couple things, are you getting a CEL? either way I would go with a map maximizer or overboost annihilator, if you don't have one. with the zoodad mod I recommend a screen of some sort to keep the bugs out.

i just got a "boost tube" from dfuser and i can see almost 30# with the wastegate plugged in.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:23 PM

Yes I get an engine light when I get on it pretty good. It usually goes away afer 10 min or so. I have no way of pulling the code so I dont know what it is. I was told my Edge Juice has an electrionic fooler built in, but have not researched it yet. I am thinking of getting a boost annihilator in the future. I need to do some maint. first, then when my $ permits a few performance items. I dont think I have ever seen above 20# but I usually leave my juice on #3, rarely do I turn it all the way to #6. But even when I did, I dont think I saw over 20#
Old 01-20-2008, 08:52 PM

Sorry to hijack - but I have a few related questions.
Yesterday, I did the FPR mod with a beebee, and I figured while I was in there, I put a beebee in the wastegate hose also, then plugged it back in as I have read in a post around here somewhere. Long story made short, the truck is completly stock with the exception of the tymar intake, it still runs good, but I didn't feel any differance at all, and it didn't make any lights go off. I dont have a boost gauge yet (it's on it's way), but I am wondering if the beebee actually blocked the hose off as I have heard that it will make the check engine light come on unless you have a boost fooler, or annialator, or whatever. Is there any way to check if it is working before my gauge gets here? Should I just unplug it, and stick it on the hose clamp just to be sure?
Old 01-21-2008, 06:04 AM

the check engine light only comes on when the pcm reads over 22-24psi boost. on a stock truck you will never see that high.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsl_pwrd_ford View Post
the check engine light only comes on when the pcm reads over 22-24psi boost. on a stock truck you will never see that high.

Thanks - just read your sig, I plan on running either 35, or more than likely, 37" tires. How big do you think you should have gone? I like a little space in my wheel wells, but dont want the tire looking to small - was really thinking 6", with 37's, but if you have 4 with 35's, and it looks too small, maybe I should go bigger?
Old 01-21-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prdcustoms View Post
was really thinking 6", with 37's, but if you have 4 with 35's, and it looks too small, maybe I should go bigger?
go for the 6-8" with 37's, i should have. 8" will give you plenty of space and as long as you have a deep dish wheel...no rubage.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:24 PM

I beg to differ about never seeing it stock in 6th by 75 I'm running upwards of 20 lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.