Intake Truth - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intake Truth

My stock airbox began to warp after 11+ years of good service. Like many of you, all I had heard about was the open element (I didn't like this) Tymar intake and a way to get it done for less than $100. I loved the stock setup as I keep my engine bay clean and didn't have to worry about getting the filter wet when washing it. I also knew about the Ford/Donaldson AIS intake as well. Being an electrical engineer, I decided to use facts and get to the bottom of the truth between the two before I made a decision on my intake replacement. I don't want to write a research paper, so I will get to my findings. For a stock truck like mine (only a Walker free-flow muffler), there was no contest. In fact, unless you are pushing 400 or more HP, the AIS is better for 2 reasons: 1-Under 400 HP requires a CFM flow that the AIS easily meets and 2-There is not a more efficient filter setup for these trucks as the AIS is best at cleaning air of all intakes at 99.95%. The AIS is also just like stock as it is covered so you can still wash your engine bay worry free. I bought the AIS for $179 total to my door. The DIY 6637 was half so I guess you can say you get what you pay for.

*The filters researched were: 1-Ford FA-1757 (manufactured by Donaldson), 2-Napa 6637 AND the Donaldson B085011 (6637 equivalent). This is where I also found that the Donaldson B085011 version out flowed the Napa 6637 version by over 50 CFM.*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Not the complete story...the AIS filter will flow the air but once in the housing a Tymar Donaldson will outflow. That said I use one on my Excursion as I can't stand the 38r scream with a Tymar.

quote:
“Tymar is going to give you better flow but AIS is going to give you unmatched filtration…the AIS plus it will last a LONG time, like 60K miles…”

Although the AIS will give better filtration efficiency, you are only talking about 1/10 of a percent over the filter Tymar Performance Intakes use at initial filtration efficiencies. Not enough of a difference to really differentiate between the two.

For the longevity, you have to start talking about restriction ranges in both stock and aftermarket applications and how dirt will affect them. AIS has a larger capacity, but not across the restriction ranges once installed on the truck. Because of the configuration you are not lowering restriction significant over stock levels, but you are receiving better filtration compared to the stock intake.

The Tymar Intake will allow lower restriction levels and lasts approximately 15K miles in a restriction range LOWER than stock. If you want to go with longevity of filter, you can continue using the same filter and will simply not experience the positive benefits of lower than stock restriction levels.

Although the PowerCore media is far superior to most other media, there is not a PowerCore media filter available for use as an open element. They are inserts for intake boxes and are not configure for use as filter alone applications.

The filter media is not the main attraction, but the filter configuration. It is NOT true that you cannot get the same filtration efficiencies or flow rates from other Donaldson products. It will just simply have to be larger. The PowerCore configuration allows for compact applications that have flow rates and filtration efficiencies of filters much larger. So it is the compactness of the element and not that the media processes some magical qualities.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:44 AM

So what is the verdict? What filter is best for a chipped but basically stock truck?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Either the AIS or a Tymar....also depends on the year as the AIS is for SD's not OBS trucks.

If you like to hear the turbo get the Tymar, if you want quite get the AIS..their is no problem using either..
Old 03-14-2013, 11:45 AM

Is rock auto still the cheapest place to get the AIS system?

Is there any fuel mileage to be gained from the AIS system?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:56 PM

Yes Matthews, RA is the cheapest I know of. I paid $179 delivered. I installed the AIS and the Walker BTM muffler #21470 in February. The truck now has better flow both in and out, therefore quicker acceleration and better engine coasting than before. I would say with both mods, around 1 MPG was gained. Performance is what is more noticeable.

Like I stated, I wash my engine often so that I can see problems when they arise, among other things. The appeal of a closed box vs. an open air filter should be a major point to people.

As far as airflow is concerned, a 7.3 that is not over 375 HP (being safe from calculations) needs a certain CFM rating that both filters in question allow easily. Any airflow over the required CFM is unnecessary and a mute point, like saying you would rather go outside to breathe because there is more air than inside your home.

A filter in a box with a snorkel air inlet will stay cleaner longer than an open air element filter under the hood. Engines are dirty, dust and grime get in there as anyone notices when they lift the hood. The trash will also settle on an open element filter therefore reducing its life. Although by a small margin, the AIS filter is more efficient and numbers back it up and I was determining the better of the 2. Being in a closed box and out of the engine filth, the AIS filter will last longer. Again, as long as the negative pressure does not exceed 20"H2O at your required CFM level, restriction levels are another mute point.

To sum it up, the AIS is better for most 7.3 owners because it has more than enough airflow, it has the longest service interval, it is the most efficient filter, the engine can be washed without having to cover a filter element, and the look of a Ford or Donaldson install kit looks OEM compared to a "floating" filter element.

Something else that I didn't read about was the air snorkel. I have noticed that even gas, non-turbo cars have air snorkels. If engines were meant to use under hood air, why would the auto makers bother to get outside air ONLY into the intake? I have heard the outside temps aren't that much different from under the hood but the intercooler temps after a cycle aren't that much different either. A little here and there must go a long way
Old 03-18-2013, 04:43 PM

How did you get it from Rockauto for $179 shipped. When I check it is over $200 shipped.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:29 PM

RA has had a price increase since I bought mine. The kit was 173, I had a 5% discount code, and then with shipping it was 179. I searched for you and here are 2 links having the best prices. This one is the lowest, but you have to find out what shipping is:
FA1759: Engine Air Box Hose. 7.3L; From 12/7/98. Air and Fuel Delivery, Fuel Injection System and Related Components - Fuel/Emissions Carborator Kits and Components - Ford Motorcraft. FA-1759, FA1759, 2U2Z-9K635-AA, 2U2Z9K635AA, XC3Z-9B659-AA, XC3Z9B

This one includes free shipping:
Motorcraft FA1759 Air Filter

The really strange thing is the filter for the kit dropped in price on RA. Hope you can find a good deal. If you decide to go the other filter route, don't buy a Napa 6637 or similar. Only buy the Donaldson B085011 filter. This is the only filter that flows like the AIS, the others don't. filtermaxx.com sells Donaldson products.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:47 PM

Thanks, I ordered from the link you provided for Sarad. It ended up being $177.95 shipped.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:54 PM

YW, glad I could help a member out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.