New guy needs help deciding! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New guy needs help deciding!

I have spent tons of hours in the past few days since I got my new truck trying to take in all the info in this place, to make some educated decisions on my 1st few mods.

I have the gauges figured out, and I think I am going to go with a 4" SS turbo back kit from MBRP (still open to suggestions), and an AEM brute force intake (still open to options), but there are just WAY too many options as far as chips / programmers / down loaders, and whatever the hell else they call these things.

I was first intrested in the edge with attitude thingy, then I heard they were not that great, and I decided I dont really trust the digital gauges too much, and I like the look of pillar mounted gauges more.

Open to suggestions on everything really, I know I want as much reliable power as possable, while gaining as much mpg as possable (like everyone else I guess).

I dont think I want to run a muffler - does anyone sell a kit with out one, or do you have to buy a kit with the muffler, then buy the delete kit, then hang that nice shiny muffler that you just paid who knows how much for on the wall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Gus at farmboysdiesel sells the kit without the muffler. The dp tuner chip or tony wildman chip are two good options for the 7.3. On intakes you could do the diy intake or go with the AFE dry filter option no reoiling needed would be the way I would go If I went with an aftermarket intake. If you go mbrp you will get the muffler and have to buy the delete pipe for about 50 bucks.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:41 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
It helps to know what engine you have. If it is the 7.3L Dp Tuner or Twildman would be the way I would go with the chip. Exhaust why not check out some of the budget systems that the vendors have. A 4inch exhaust straight pipe is a 4 inch exhaust straightpiped. Intakes well I would go with the diy kit to start with. Why it is reasonable and it works.

Now if it is a 6.0L. I would go with an aftermarket filter, being the intake is pretty good stock. Get an SCT tuner, and 4 inch exhaust.

You already know what gauges you want. So it is just a matter of what looks you like.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:40 PM

Sorry - 7.3. I'm gonna check out this "farm boy" place. I've seen his name pop up quite a few times on here. I've also been reading about Tony Wildman's chips, and everyone seems to like them.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Yeah Gus is the owner of Farmboysdiesel and Raul from SteathAutomotive is another vendor on here that can hook you up with the wildman chip
Old 01-13-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidle View Post
Gus at farmboysdiesel sells the kit without the muffler. The dp tuner chip or tony wildman chip are two good options for the 7.3. On intakes you could do the diy intake or go with the AFE dry filter option no reoiling needed would be the way I would go If I went with an aftermarket intake. If you go mbrp you will get the muffler and have to buy the delete pipe for about 50 bucks.
Anyone have a link to farmboys exhaust w/o a muffler? I went to his site, but I can't seem to find it.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
my vote is for any 4" exhaust(choose whats cheapest) TW chip and autometer gauges. and either a DIY intake or AFE stage 2 if you have the money...
Old 01-13-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
my vote is for any 4" exhaust(choose whats cheapest) TW chip and autometer gauges. and either a DIY intake or AFE stage 2 if you have the money...
Thats pretty much my plan. I am in the process of finding the cheapest exhaust right now - I'm not really willing to pay for a muffler that I dont want, so I guess I'm waiting until tomorrow to call Farmboy to see how much his kit costs. My next option is to have a shop bend a whole system up - have no idea how much it would cost, but I do have a friend that runs the local Midas Muffler, but I don't know if they have the capabilities to do 4".

Does Stealth sell any kits w/o a muffler?

The other end of my plan is to do the DIY intake for now, just can't find a good write up explaining what filter / parts I need to get. It might end up being permenent if it doesn't look to cheesy.

Then there is the gauges / chip - I'd love to go for your package deal, but I don't think I'll make it before the sale is over.

I just got done doing the foil delete - what a PITA it was getting that glue off! I kept soaking it w/ brake cleaner, then scrape, repeat, repeat, repeat.
Then another hour of polishing with scotchbrite, and it dont look to shabby.

TC lockup mod is next, along with the wastegate mod, boost fooler, zoodad, and something I think they call a FPR mod (can't remember right now)

Will all of these mods work together? Any other free / cheap ones that I am missing?

Which of these mods should I wait on untill I get the gauges?
Old 01-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by prdcustoms View Post
Thats pretty much my plan. I am in the process of finding the cheapest exhaust right now - I'm not really willing to pay for a muffler that I dont want, so I guess I'm waiting until tomorrow to call Farmboy to see how much his kit costs. My next option is to have a shop bend a whole system up - have no idea how much it would cost, but I do have a friend that runs the local Midas Muffler, but I don't know if they have the capabilities to do 4".

Does Stealth sell any kits w/o a muffler?

The other end of my plan is to do the DIY intake for now, just can't find a good write up explaining what filter / parts I need to get. It might end up being permenent if it doesn't look to cheesy.

Then there is the gauges / chip - I'd love to go for your package deal, but I don't think I'll make it before the sale is over.

I just got done doing the foil delete - what a PITA it was getting that glue off! I kept soaking it w/ brake cleaner, then scrape, repeat, repeat, repeat.
Then another hour of polishing with scotchbrite, and it dont look to shabby.

TC lockup mod is next, along with the wastegate mod, boost fooler, zoodad, and something I think they call a FPR mod (can't remember right now)

Will all of these mods work together? Any other free / cheap ones that I am missing?

Which of these mods should I wait on untill I get the gauges?
sounds like you have a great plan worked up.. wish i had one like that when i started off.. would of saved a lot of money.... unfortunately all our kits come with a muffler... not sure why prob has to do some some kind of regulation.... call up Gus tomorrow i think he sells a kit without it...
Old 01-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I found a AFE straight pipe exhaust at T&Jdieselperformance.com. I just ordered it for $290.00 shipped. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.