pump and injectors turned down? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
pump and injectors turned down?

so im lookin at getting a set of injectors probably swamps injectors or the one from Diesel Care. along with those i want to get an Airdog 2 but before i spend near $4000 on this stuff i want to know if i get bigger injectors like the swamps 200/30% or 200/200 can they be "turned down"? now ive heard a lot about turning down the fuel system but what does that mean? if i get a chip and flip it on economy or stock will it get me better mileage? or will it just give me lower power levels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Turning down the fuel system means they have a Cum-a-part. Your truck is a HUEI system. A good tuner, DP, TW, PHP, etc can tune the truck to your liking with whatever injectors you choose. Tuning the truck to run at stock levels with big injector would be a complete waste, you won't gain anything. A economy tune can give you a bit more performance and MPG but most of that depends on how heavy your foot is. The big question is what are your plans for the truck? 200cc injectors would get you quite a bit more power than stock but would also require some supporting mods.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Premium Member

not quite sold on the 200/200 injectors yet. the 200/30 says i can retain the factory HPOP might just go for 160cc sigle shot. im not trying to build a drag truck or some +600hp monster anyways. like any guy (especially teenager) i want to go have enough under the hood to have some fun. pretty much what i plan to do other than the fuel system is improve air flow(bigger intercooler, manifolds like CFM+ or blade runner, exhaust, turbo work). im pretty new to diesels so i might be setting myself in the wrong direction. still got a lot to learn.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Serving Our Country!

Given the price being the same, go with the 200/200 and have the tuner tune then how you like. You won't be anywhere near 600hp, more like 400-450 but you will need a turbo. Don't waste your money on the CFM+ and don't get a bigger intercooler unless your just looking to drop the EGT a bit. A fuel system for these trucks is called a regulated return, it eliminates the dead head system and quiets the truck down plus it's a great start if you want bigger injectors.

If you haven't done anything to the truck yet, start off with the basics. Intake, exhaust, gauges and a tuner. That will get out around 300 HP at the wheels.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would look at a 160/stock, just remember the bigger you go the more you start breaking. If I wanted a fun DD I would go with a 180/100 at biggest. I've ran 3 different injector sizes so far and about to be on the 4th, 180/100 was the most fun without to much worry. With a 200/200 you start looking at getting into the range for more supporting mods than you plan. Your best mpg usually comes from your all out tune. And yes a good tuner can pull fuel so you won't make as much power.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:52 AM

more hp= more broken trans and other stuff, gotta pay to play....if I ever need to i'm going to a "stage one" 160ish mostly cause i'm E99...
Old 03-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

yeah i figured as much. thanks guys! looks like im gettin 160s
Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 PM

save ur money too, and ditch the bigger cooler, bladerunner idea. No gain to balance the cost.

Make sure the trucks' in top-notch shape b4 dump'n $$$. Get a 6637 filter, 4in turbo-back, and then look into chips/tuners. Once you hit there, you want gauges. You'd be surprised, what you GAIN from just a "great" tuned truck, with stock injectors, hpop, turbo..etc.

Case in point...nothing more than a "great" tune..(php), dudes' bang'n 402hp...stock turbo, hpop, injectors..think he's run'n the 6637 along with 4in or muffler delete.

My bad, just looked up, he's run'n 160/100's. everything else stock.

Last edited by timmyboy76; 03-07-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Serving Our Country!

Was just about to say stock 140cc sticks won't get anywhere near 402hp on a 7.3. 160's will get you there but the stock turbo won't be happy.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

i already have a K&N filter on that im going to ditch for somethin like the AFE stage 2 i just think it gives a more permanent and finished look to the engine bay than the 6637 and im a sucker for stuff like that. exhaust and chip are already on the map though. my dad was the original off the lot owner and its been babied and kept pristine since he bought it so it is in great shape. thanks guys

Last edited by Cduff; 03-07-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.