How much can I push on stock Head bolts on a 2000 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 06:39 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much can I push on stock Head bolts on a 2000 7.3

I Have a 2000 7.3 and I plan on getting 238/100's, t-500 hpop, gtp38r, springs and pushrods, raptor 150gph pump, regulated return, and a good clutch, i have an exhaust and intake, and gauges already and a ts 6 position to have custom tuned for the modifications, with good tuning will i be safe without studs? What would be the max numbers i should see safely? And does this list need anything added to it and will it be relatively reliable hp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

someones' run'n almost identical set-up, and seeing 35psi, with stock studs. Personally, anything over 30psi, i'd be skeptical..
Old 03-06-2013, 07:42 AM

What are they seeing for hp numbers im expecting 450ish? And has he run into many issues? And can you think of anything to add to my list? Thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 AM

i''l paste the link shortly, but only thing i can think of, is doing the HUTCH mod. Ya, you got the raptor and R.R., but fuel problem starts with pickup assy.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...o-results.html

Last edited by timmyboy76; 03-06-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke1098 View Post
What are they seeing for hp numbers im expecting 450ish? And has he run into many issues? And can you think of anything to add to my list? Thanks
238/100s can get into 500HP+. There are a few running 238/100s with a 38r, stock bolts and springs.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:37 AM

Thanks 500hp seems a little much for me to feel safe without studs if its capable of making 500hp id want to run it at 450hp max. And people are using the same setup and making 500hp without studs is what your saying right?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:44 AM

I want 238/100's because theyre capable of making more power than i want, so down the line i could get studs and maybe a bigger turbo and have more hp but wouldnt they be fine for a 38r if tuned correctly?
Old 03-06-2013, 02:14 PM

ya you could always have them de-tuned. so later down the road when you want more power you could just get new tunes.
id check out the new wicked wheel for the 38r too. i havent seen much on it lately but it looked like the results were good.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks 500hp seems a little much for me to feel safe without studs if its capable of making 500hp id want to run it at 450hp max. And people are using the same setup and making 500hp without studs is what your saying right?
Yes, or at least similar setups. Not saying it's an ideal setup, but people are doing it without too many problems. There's even a few running 250/200s without studs/springs. That starts really pushing limits though.

Quote:
I want 238/100's because theyre capable of making more power than i want, so down the line i could get studs and maybe a bigger turbo and have more hp but wouldnt they be fine for a 38r if tuned correctly?
Yes, just make sure your tuner of choice knows you don't want a full fuel tune. I would even consider going to a 250/xxx. Cost is usually about the same, but will allow for a little more power later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post
ya you could always have them de-tuned. so later down the road when you want more power you could just get new tunes.
id check out the new wicked wheel for the 38r too. i havent seen much on it lately but it looked like the results were good.

There is at least one truck at 600HP+ with a 38r with the WW G2. With 250/200s IIRC. Gained over 50HP from the WW.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:11 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's really not based on a boost number for studs, it's cylinder pressure. Springs are cheap and easy, I would do them as cheap insurance. I know one guy that made 49x hp with stage 2s and he didn't do springs, ended up having 8 cracked pistons due to piston to valve contact. When you start getting close to 500hp I would do studs as cheap insurance for the seasoned hgs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, gasket, horsepower, performance, studs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.