Exhausted.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 06:59 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhausted....

Well after having the turbo out for a rebuild and new compressor wheel as well as the injectors and all the other fun stuff to replace while in that far, my truck is back together with another issue. My up pipes are leaking, go figure... anyway I have been researching them and am going with the International bellowed up pipes and after reading several how to's to do this without dropping the tranny or lifting the cab it appears I need to drop the down pipe to have better access so why not be a good time to get rid of the factory exhaust, its 12 years old, time for an upgrade. I have looked at the diamond eye and a few other SS exhaust then found the DSL on eBay. Anyone run that system? How does it sound? I don't want a droney exhaust and am not really looking for louder either, just lower EGT when towing and perhaps it will compliment my new compressor wheel and maybe eek out a little better economy. Any and all recommendations are apreciated, sound files will also help alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i like my diamond eye.
the install was easy took about hour and a half.
mine is straight piped so its louder, but just buy the system that comes with
the muffler and you are good. the muffler takes the out the drone as well.

oh and by the way, get rid of your k&N filter unless you would like to rebuild your turbo again.
they let too much dust through.
get the 6637 filter from napa/riffraffdiesel etc.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:19 PM

6637 filter? is it a drop in replacement or a cold air intake? My K&N has woked well, my olcompressor wheel looks damn near new after I degreased the oil off of it. I have heard of the K&N issues of poor fitment in the box and have run them on many other vehicles. This one has been on my truck for 140K and even whn I bore scoped my cylenders, they were all shiny and no signs of wear that yo could see with the naked eye. Please elaborate, I want another 160K trouble free.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:13 PM

You can DIY but here is this kit.

Riffraff Diesel: RDP 6637 Filter Kit
Old 03-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by englewoodcowboy View Post
6637 filter? is it a drop in replacement or a cold air intake? My K&N has woked well, my olcompressor wheel looks damn near new after I degreased the oil off of it. I have heard of the K&N issues of poor fitment in the box and have run them on many other vehicles. This one has been on my truck for 140K and even whn I bore scoped my cylenders, they were all shiny and no signs of wear that yo could see with the naked eye. Please elaborate, I want another 160K trouble free.
First do you have the drop in K&N or the cold air kit? After seeing first hand for the first time ever last week i had a customer come in the shop with a K&N drop in panel filter that had the "dusting" issue. Of course the filter didnt look like it had been serviced in 50k miles it was caked with dirt and leaves. The intake tube was actually nasty with dirt! I put a paper filter back in his for the time being. My K&N cai has been on my truck since it had 35K miles( i know because i put it on for the lady that i bought the truck from) now has 121K and i service the filter every 10K miles whether it looks dirty or not and i always wipe out the inside of the tube and its always been CLEAN and the compressor wheel looks as if its brand new. I cant jump on the K&N bashing band wagon yet untill i see mine do it but after seeing my customers truck like that the panel filters have to be more of a problem than the conical filters
Old 03-04-2013, 07:01 PM

^^^...

might consider these for the uppipes...ROCKAUTO, in exhaust section, labeled 'cross over pipes"

More Information for DORMAN 679005
Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 PM

Too many issues being reported with the knock off dormans. They have poor castings and are made from steel. The international parts ha e great castings and the tubes are stainless steel.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:26 PM

I have the drop in filter. I clean mine once a year since I'm only putting 10 to 12k a year on it, will be less now that I live on my farm. It's been on there since the truck had 20k on the clock.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:14 PM

the 6637 has much better filtration.
and more often that not its the stock intake box to blame as well. it is known to crack/warp
my dads panel k&n filter was dirty after 3k miles of city driving lol it seems like they hold very little dust/dirt
Old 03-05-2013, 06:16 PM

I really like the MBRP systems, they have a nice selection and if you shop around you can find them for a good price. I ordered the MBRP model S6222409 through amazon, which is a T409 SS turbo back exhaust, 4" downpipe to 5" the rest of the way back with high flow muffler. I'm supposed to get it tomorrow and should have it installed this weekend over some beers. They claim +18hp and +28 ft lbs of torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.