What's my next upgrade? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's my next upgrade?

Bought a 2000 excursion that needed a little TLC. We redid the ball-joints, tires, and alignment, and had the transmission rebuilt (out of necessity... the truck didnt make it home from the auction ). As soon as we got it home, I put an AIS intake in to replace the stock one (noticeable difference in MPG and and throttle). Looking at cleaning out the EBPS setup in the next week, too.

As far as where to go next, I was thinking an exhaust. This vehicle is mainly a daily driver. Probably wont pull anything in the short-term, I don't need to impress anyone with sound/noise, and the only reason I'm investing in upgrades is because I'm looking for MPG's.

Stock pipes are 3.5", right? I'm thinking about getting a 4" exhaust with a high-flow muffler. Any suggestions on where I should go, or what brands to look at? Or am I thinking wrong?... should I do something else first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i believe the pipe before the muffler is only 3". The tail pipe is 3.5". A 4" turbo back would be a nice upgrade, i seen a mpg difference when i did mine. Then id do gauges and a tuner. As far as brands MBRP and diamond are good quality and are reasonably priced. The MBRP with the high flow muffler has a nice mellow tone and its not loud at all. Now my MBRP has the muffler delete and its on the louder side but is not noticeable with the windows up. just my
Old 03-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
diamond eye from alligator performance 250 for complete 4" back kit. get custom tunes when you get your ts
Old 03-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Premium Member

I've got a few friends up here that use MBRP exhaust and they swear by them now. sound pretty good too. they also have a 5" option if your looking to get a bit more performance and mileage over the 4". my suggestion as far as chips is if your going to get a custom chip do all of your performance work first then get the chip tailor made for what youve done. or you can go with one with "canned tunes" and get it any time.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomer pyle View Post
diamond eye from alligator performance 250 for complete 4" back kit. get custom tunes when you get your ts
Looking at diamond eye because of the price. Looks like the only thing they have listed for turbo-back kits for excursions is 01-02 models. I'm assuming that will fit my 00... Were there any changes between 00 and 01 that would necessitate a different exhaust?

Are there any other brands comparable to diamond eye in price? Am I sacrificing anything by going with diamond eye over MBRP or magnaflow or something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.