Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

fuel milage

3K views 34 replies 4 participants last post by  maddawg89 
#1 ·
Hi all.
The past few weeks I have seriously been considering selling my truck and going with something newer. But, an opportunity has come up now and I may be geeting to spend some time out of country and I think my best bet will be to hang on and just stick it outm so now, I'm wondering what mods are best to maximize fuel eco? I'm getting 13.6mpg right now. Kinda sucks. When I got the truck I was getting 15. I know it dropped some when I put smaller tires on which will be remedied hopefully soon. I'm getting a new tube for the ebp sensor soon which will help. But what else can I do? I'm reading afte some guys that are getting low to mid 20's from the same truck.

Thanks!

#2 ·
:bump::bump:

#3 ·
drive it nice, and keep your RPM's under 2,000. keep your tire pressure up. these are all free and should help your mileage. a chip can help a little, but it takes a while to offset the cost... but then agian if you are using this newfound power your mileage will drop :)

#4 ·
Going from a large tire to a smaller tire will not make your MPG drop, it will increase it some. With going to a smaller tire you have less rotational displacement, thus less force to move.
As far as a tuner gos, I would look into something from DPtuner, they have some really good stuff and from what I am seeing its worth the cost.
Another thing that will make you have better MPG is restrictions. Any time you can open up an engine I.E. intake, exhaust ect... will help with better fuel atomization
Most important of all KEEP YOUR FOOT OUT OF HER lol... below 2k rpm is the best help lol.....
I hope this will help you out some buddy

#5 ·
Ok. Idk, I always thought a smaller tire would increase mileage. When I had 315/75/16's on it I was at 15. Then, because money was tight I put a used set of 305/70/16'son it and I dropped to 13.6. I have an airraid on it, hopefully soon I can kick it for a 6637. I also have a 4.5in straight from turbo back on exhaust.

I'm looking at php for chip. DP was a little out of my budget.

And yes.... I do need to stay out of it more.... Lol it's hard though haha

#6 ·
oh i know what you mean brother, i like to put mine in the mud everytime I get a chance lmao... DP does cost a little more but the set up i amn looking at will cost about 600. Does tuning,data logging and gives me the ability to keep an eye on my pids, so it acts like a scanner

#8 ·
Ya, mudding I do not do! This thing will get stuck in a heart beat! Can't tell you how many times my dads obs 2wd has pulled m out! From stupid stuff too that it should have easily pulled through! My tires just aren't that good right now soi have to be real careful. But, I just can't resist the red light to red light embarrassment of cars that think they're hot stuff.... Lol I love the loon riders faces when the hear my turbo spool up! That "oh crap what have I done" look! So much fun....:hehe:

#7 ·
If your on a budget the PHP Phoenix chip is hard to beat

#9 ·
Yeah, I really like that and the hydra...

#10 ·
I would love to have one with up fitter switches on a 650 dash mod to control it but we don't always get what we want do we? Ol

#11 ·
now see if im going to run something I will just take the talon TSI (2.0 turbo) out and play with it....but the mud is more fun (until you get stuck). Talk about head turning...now thats funny when a four cylinder comes up and walks out lmao

#12 ·
:laugh: heck yeah! I can't wait to get my supra back on the road bu my 7.3 decided it was time for 300,000 mile maintenance 10,000 miles early and it's been sucking my play money lol

#14 ·
see I am some what a noob when It comes to diesel. How ever when it comes to gas, different story. I have been a tech for about 10 years. right now my talon has a super 16 G TD05 turbo next will be adding a HKS Water to air FMIC and will be looking into the same thing for my F250. But the one thing I am buying very soon is my tuner/logger. Then play time will be on...i think my wife will be mad (laughing my *** off)

#15 ·
Very nice! I'm good when it comes to working on my 1984 f150 with the 300 i6 but his 87 supra with the 7mge is stupid! Lol it's jumped timing so bad it's suck air in the exhaust and backfiring through the intake! I have never seen an engine run 100% backwards. :doh: I want to do a 2jtz swap on it....

Better yet scrap it. If I'm gonna dream lets go with a 2002 mk4 supra running 700hp! Lol

#16 ·
well the 2Jz swap would be killer and its not as expensive as you think. I have seen something like that before, then the entire valve train gurnaded bending ever valve in the head. of course this was after the dude did the timing wrong ....i laughed so hard i thought i was gonna piss my self.
But hey, if you need any help or what ever, let me know and I will help the best I can via the internet if possible

#17 ·
I might've taking you upon that! I bought a 7mge with 153,000 miles on it that was disassembled that has a rebuilt head on it. I'm planning on putting that together and using it as mine has 257,000 on it.

#19 ·
True. True.

#23 ·
I don't think so, you can't write your own chips without a chip burner and the Phoenix chip does not come with one.

#24 ·
brother, not to be nosy but how much cash do you have and what are your plans...maybe between the three of us and the contacts that i have maybe we can get something going that would help you out brother

#25 ·
Me? Lol not much at all. I'm in college and I have a $300 dollar a month truck that drinks about $100-$125 a week in fuel lol

Really, I want to get gauges, tuner/chip, and decent tires besides putting $150 a set band aids on my truck

#26 ·
That's sounds amazing!

#27 ·
well brother, you can get some gauges for next to nothing. im not sure of the price on it all. I know a boost gauge will set you back ( i think) 40 bucks, the EGT gauge, im not sure about it

#28 ·
I'm looking at glowshift

#31 ·
Yeah I love how they come really close to looking like stock gauges. And the price.... i love the price

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#33 ·
#34 ·
I have had my Glowshift 3 in 1 for almost 2 years now i think and so far no problems:eek:hnoes: my only complaint is that the digital EGT is very hard to read in the sunlight. if it is all you can afford i would say get one, it is far better than no gauges, which i think are important.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.