What Turbo To Buy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What Turbo To Buy

Hey guys ive asked this before what turbo should I get I was gonna do a dominator 66 but I want a bearing or a ball bearing turbo I was looking at the turbonetics one and the garette one I heard a guy on this other forum had a garette turbo he said it was a POS it leaked oil real bad and surges real bad he sent it to garette and they told him to F off on that so he got a turbonetics bearing turbo and he loves it he said its alittle laggy spooling but wants it spools it hits good 0 surging and its less money with a 1 year no hassel warn so I think im gonna go with that one I have a early 99 so im gonna just change all the piping out and the x pipe and breathers and ypipe with the upipes o and the pedistal F it lol im gonna tear it apart anyways so why not do the bad A$$ turbo from the start.

wes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Don't base your decision on one guy's very biased opinion of the product. Do some product research and talk to those who have them.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:54 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wes,

That is ONE guy who had that issue that speaks his mind very regularly about this exact subject. If u have seen some of his rants and blow ups on some of the other forums u would see why garrett probably didnt help him. anyway, talk to David Lott at Diesel innovations about the turbos. DO NOT and i say again DO NOT go by what my signature and my avatar says as far it being my opinion, i have those there as a joke. TN is a good company, i will not deny that But the fact of the matter is, the Garrett BB will more than likely make u a happy PSD owner. There are a coupl guys on here and at PSN that just put the 38R on their trucks and are EXTREMELY happy with the outcome. This type of subject can get very ugly. If that warranty from TN makes u feel warm inside, then go for it, but the Garrett is just as good if not a better turbo than TN.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i dunno the tn is less money my buddy runs twin turbos from tn on his mustangs its one of the fastes cars around 198 on a 10inch radial look him up Shannon Wren 198 in the 1/4 i think his time was 7.62 or something i forget but he has tn twins on his motor and he likes them i dunno
Old 12-28-2007, 10:01 PM
John Wood Nut Swinger

You are basing your decision on one guy Joe(CSIPSD), that is the only short fall I see about your decision. There are more GT38R turbos out there in the field than all the other brands of aftermarket turbos combined. That is a fact, like it or not. Some swear by then and some hate them. If you ask around about the leaking thing, there are only a couple. I have read about a few TN BB that had problems as well and missing parts from the factory to boot. So what! Run what you feel is best but get more than one persons openion, that is just short sided and un-informed. Rant over......

Post up how you like it when done. It will be fun so take your time and do it right.

Last edited by strokin_early_99; 12-28-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin_early_99 View Post
You are basing your decision on one guy Joe(CSIPSD), that is the only short fall I see about your decision. There are more GT38R turbos out there in the field than all the other brands of aftermarket turbos combined. That is a fact, like it or not. Some swear by then and some hate them. If you ask around about the leaking thing, there are only a couple. I have read about a few TN BB that had problems as well and missing parts from the factory to boot. So what! Run what you feel is best but get more than one persons openion, that is short sided and not informed. Rant over......

Post up how you like it when done. It will be fun so take your time and do it right.
Very well said Strokin! I dont nunderstand why people jump to making a decision because one person comes on and bashes a turbo like Joe does. A few people went with what he said, bought the TN and were disappointed with it. but they werent TN BB turbos either, and even before the TN BB came out, Joe would say the TN journal bearing was a better turbo. Well, some guys found out the hard way and didnt like it, sold it, and bought a Garrett BB and havent looked back.

Wes, do some research before u make a decision on this. Call DAVID LOTT!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well im not the garette is more than i want to spen the tn i think is a good turbo for what im doing with my truck and like i said my buddie runs twin tn on his mustang his seals are leaking but its a race car and he has had them for a while so i dunno should i do a new intercooler or no or down the road i mean i talke to tn and they seem to stand behind their products well yeah they had problems with not putting parts in but were human were not robots so shi$$ happens samething in a car factory lol but anyways i think im gonna do the tn cause its cheaper and its in my price range im gonna call around and get the best price im hoping to be in the 1400 range maybe cheaper plus i have to change out some stuff to make it work
Old 12-28-2007, 10:13 PM

Cheaper? LOL 1400?? LOL cheaper on one site maybe. CALL DAVID LOTT!!! Do u not read??
Old 12-28-2007, 10:15 PM

There are a couple of people selling thier TN's on PSN if you want a deal.. I don't have the link, but maybe someone else does..
Old 12-28-2007, 10:22 PM

all we are saying is just give him a call, he is a straight forward guy. check his website. DI Performance - Your Powerstroke, Duramax, Cummins Performance Headquarters. U have to look at all your options, not just the options of ONE site. I saw the site i am sure u were looking at and the price was almost $200 more for the Garrett. u can get a garrett cheaper than that. elite Diesel also sells the garrett, check with them,. Talk with them with ALL of your concerns about the turbo. They will let u know. Elite and David Lott.

P.S If u could get to my house i would buy the turbo from u if u had problems with it!! LOL, u wouldnt have to throw it thru my window, let alone wouldnt be able to get to my front window! LOL

Last edited by Diezel Dawg; 12-28-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.