Auto vs Manual - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 02:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Auto vs Manual

So heres the question i have a 2001 F250 with an auto tranny. I kinda wanna do a manual swap but then i want your guys thoughts. i do plan on building a good bit of power. i know i will have to build my tranny. so what would the better/cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to buckels Send a message via MSN to buckels Send a message via Yahoo to buckels
I have a ZF6 and love it. However if you want to race it at all go with a built auto. If you just want to tow and DD then I would say the manual.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:08 PM

okay see i dont really wanna race but everyonce in a while i might and i hear its not that hard to do the swap
Old 02-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to buckels Send a message via MSN to buckels Send a message via Yahoo to buckels
Re: Auto vs Manual

mine was a manual when I bought it

Posted via Autoguide...Enabling my addiction!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Premium Member

Build up that auto and you will never regret it! Been there done that and sware I will never let an auto strand me again. Like my sig says, I Got WOODS built tranny and the ford 6.0, 26 or 31 row can't be beat for a cooler. Do that and you will have the best of both worlds. The only reason I would think of goin with a stick, (and it's a pretty good one!) is for the gas mileage. But it will still take a long time to pay off in the end for you to swap over. With a good tuner and drivin it like grandpa you'll almost match mpg's with a manny.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:03 PM
spool up that turbo!!

Auto vs Manual

Can't beat a zf when your hooked to a trailer!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADTON View Post
Build up that auto and you will never regret it! Been there done that and sware I will never let an auto strand me again. Like my sig says, I Got WOODS built tranny and the ford 6.0, 26 or 31 row can't be beat for a cooler. Do that and you will have the best of both worlds. The only reason I would think of goin with a stick, (and it's a pretty good one!) is for the gas mileage. But it will still take a long time to pay off in the end for you to swap over. With a good tuner and drivin it like grandpa you'll almost match mpg's with a manny.

Your talking to a 19 year old here lol not much grandpa driving here.
Were did you get your tranny from. What did it run you?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 AM

When looking for my truck, two of the main requirements were a 7.3, and a stick. But then again my opinion is extremely biased as i own 4 vehicles and each one of them is stick. Creeper gear is so awesome thought, feels like you could pull down a house.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03machstock View Post
When looking for my truck, two of the main requirements were a 7.3, and a stick. But then again my opinion is extremely biased as i own 4 vehicles and each one of them is stick. Creeper gear is so awesome thought, feels like you could pull down a house.
i really wanted a manual also but i git a real good deal on this truck i couldnt pass it up. all the vehicles ive had have been a manual except my last truck 97 f150 the other 4 were

i think ive desided to go with a built auto cause i cant have to much down time right now its my dd
Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker 250 View Post
Your talking to a 19 year old here lol not much grandpa driving here.
Were did you get your tranny from. What did it run you?
Okay since you drive it like you stole it every once in a while And if you decide to stick with the auto, IMO, if you are close, Brian's transmission shop will probably do you right. But if you are on the left coast then I can't say enough about John Woods! He built my tranny and even though I have an 8" lift I use my truck! It was 3800 back in 05, with a billet converter and 6.0 cooler. What might cost you alot is shipping. I myself made a trip out of it, to socal. But for me to ship it to either of these shops was 300 one way So I hope this helps. And Just for the record I learned how to drive in a stick so I love them too Just so happens I have a great wife that love to drive all my vehicles and she can't stand stiff clutches and the spec racing clutch I had in my 5oh killed her leg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.