New Comp Turbo Now what Tuner? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Comp Turbo Now what Tuner?

A good buddy of mine asked me to help him out in finding a good tuner for his truck. I know about the 6.0L and SCT tuner as that is my money pit but not too familiar with the 7.3L good tuners. The truck specs are 2001 F250 7.3L CCSB 4x4, stock height (no lift), stock size tires, 4" exhaust, 5" tip, new injectors (not sure what size assume stock) and new Comp turbo (not sure on specs yet). He is a boat mechanic and used to be a united airline mechanic so he knows how really get him self into trouble . but he just needs some direction. He runs a 50/50 mix of diesel and used fry/veg oil in the tank because his wife has a restaurant. Also he tows all the time, at least a minimum of once a week and reliability is key for the truck. Now after researching I have found a few tuners that seem to always come up and I wanted to know if everyone was in agreement. Also let me know if anybody runs a similar set up with real world numbers/data so that I can convey the information. So what I have come up with is as follows:

Most common and ones I was going to suggest:
TS 6 Position chip from PHP (Bill Cohron), or Gearhead (Matt Robinson), or Tony Wildman.

What are thoughts of the others?
BTS
Innovative Diesel
DP Tuner
Edge Juice & Evolution
Bully Dog
Banks
Swamps
any other not sure?

Thanks in advance e for the help guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 03:14 PM

If he actually has an upgraded turbo (which may do little with stock injectors) he will more than likely need custom tunes, which narrows the field some. It is hard to go wrong with the well known names, they are all good in their own way it just comes down to personal preference. Off the top of my head those who do custom tunes(not in any particular order)
PHP
Beans
Tony Wildman
Swamps
DP-Tuner

Hope this helps, there is also some difference in hardware options with the different tuners with different features and price points which may become a deciding factor
Old 02-20-2013, 03:56 PM

Yeah it is definitely an upgraded turbo. His thought was to just use off the shelf tunes but I told him that it would benefit him to use custom ones so naturally he wanted me to do his research which is fine cuz he gave me the keys to the shop years ago to use when ever I want to . I don't think cost will be a big factor (with in reason) as he writes off most of his purchases due to it being the "company" vehicle. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:46 PM

i like the way my php tunes are.
ive driven a truck with a dp tuner and it was extremely torqey right at the beginning of the peddle.
i like my php because the peddle has a stock touch to it but the power is their if you put your foot down.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 PM

PHP, Gearhead, Tony Wildman, and DP are probably the most popular choices.
BTS, and swamps are supposed to have great tunes as well. Any of these should put a smile on your friends face.
If you live near one of these guys, i would go to with them, otherwise you can't go wrong with any of the listed.

I have run, PHP, Beans and DP...I prefer PHP, but if Beans ever revises my tunes; They would be very comparable to PHP.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post
i like the way my php tunes are.
ive driven a truck with a dp tuner and it was extremely torqey right at the beginning of the peddle.
i like my php because the peddle has a stock touch to it but the power is their if you put your foot down.
Thanks for the help I will pass on the info to him and he can take it from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
PHP, Gearhead, Tony Wildman, and DP are probably the most popular choices.
BTS, and swamps are supposed to have great tunes as well. Any of these should put a smile on your friends face.
If you live near one of these guys, i would go to with them, otherwise you can't go wrong with any of the listed.

I have run, PHP, Beans and DP...I prefer PHP, but if Beans ever revises my tunes; They would be very comparable to PHP.
No we aren't near any of these tuners here in restrict everything California . Thanks for all the help.

Also does anybody have an idea of what the costs are for the tunes. Just would like an idea of what a decent price is. Thanks
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 AM

php is the cheapest at 295 for their 6 position phoenix chip.
i live in California too so i get to take my chip out an a few other things for smogging every 2 years.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtHigh250 View Post
Thanks for the help I will pass on the info to him and he can take it from there.

No we aren't near any of these tuners here in restrict everything California . Thanks for all the help.

Also does anybody have an idea of what the costs are for the tunes. Just would like an idea of what a decent price is. Thanks
I am in California, and I work for DP-Tuner. However, I am not the tuner That would be Jody, who lives in Georgia. He does come out here to California once or twice a year for live tuning though.

Let me know if you have any questions about our products. I would be glad to help you out.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post
php is the cheapest at 295 for their 6 position phoenix chip.
i live in California too so i get to take my chip out an a few other things for smogging every 2 years.
Yeah I know that all too well. I need to do some of the normal fixes to my 6.0L but I need to make it so I don't have to put it on and take it off all the time. Work and the family don't always allow the time to work on the truck (one of my favorite things to do though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner View Post
I am in California, and I work for DP-Tuner. However, I am not the tuner That would be Jody, who lives in Georgia. He does come out here to California once or twice a year for live tuning though.

Let me know if you have any questions about our products. I would be glad to help you out.
When and where would you do the live tuning? Oakdale area? I have not talked to my bud yet but once I do I will know more of what he wants out of his tunes and what his thoughts are. Thanks for the input and I will keep you informed of what he wants.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtHigh250 View Post
Yeah I know that all too well. I need to do some of the normal fixes to my 6.0L but I need to make it so I don't have to put it on and take it off all the time. Work and the family don't always allow the time to work on the truck (one of my favorite things to do though)

When and where would you do the live tuning? Oakdale area? I have not talked to my bud yet but once I do I will know more of what he wants out of his tunes and what his thoughts are. Thanks for the input and I will keep you informed of what he wants.
Jody comes out to Modesto and there is a live tuning event at Terminator Engineering. He was just out here in November, but I am not sure of the next trip. No date is scheduled yet as far as I know.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.