Intake question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intake question

My stock air box is fine, clamps work well and it does not leak. I use an FA1750 filter and always run a bead of petroleum jelly along the seal for extra leak insurance. I've done the zoodad mod but didn't notice anything there. I also cut out a 1.5" x 4" section of the box just below the filter and facing the fender well. That mod actually made a difference, dropped the egts by about 50* and spools the turbo up quick.

I'm debating whether I should spend the cash on an AIS setup or stick with my stock box. Seems most people hate the stock box due to its propensity to leak but I don't have the leaking issue.

Whatever I do, it has to be CARB compliant as I live in the Peoples Republic of California. So, what are your opinions about this? Would you spend the bucks to upgrade to an AIS or stick with a clean running stock box and a 1750 filter? If you would switch over, could you share your thoughts as to why, what benefits you think it would provide.

Regards

Last edited by cpfullback; 02-14-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i like my s&b intake was like 270.
i got my dad the 6637 dyi intake for his truck.
we live cali too so we have the smog issue as well.
but...to switch from the 6637 to the stock lid with panel filter takes about 5 minutes.
so if you need to get it smogged its not really an issue.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Blue99stroker,

Thanks for replying. I've read good things about both the air intakes you have installed. The smog test is a pain, I already remove my chip and don't really want to stack more on top of that.

I was hoping to glean some more detail on the stock air box, how much it was designed to flow and how well the improved filter fa1750 flows. Since I posted this thread I found that WIX has their filters flow rates on their web site and the WIX replacement for the MC 1750 flows at 640cfm (same size and material) by comparison the WIX 46637 (Napa 6637) flows at 425cfm.

With the modification I made to the air box I have effectively increased the area available to air flow by about 50%. If the FA1750 flows nearly as well as the WIX replacement I think I'm getting plenty of air but not knowing how much air the stock box was designed to move I can't extrapolate where I might be now and whether or not purchasing an after market intake is worth while. I was hoping someone had already done this and could share some data if they had it.

Thanks again for your reply
Old 02-18-2013, 04:07 PM

I would run the AIS. WAY better filtration, and flows much more. Anything to help.
Also, the stock box usually leaks because it cracks more than anything.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:09 PM

AIS is better than the stock air box in just about every way.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:04 PM

I jumped on the bandwagon and installed the 6637, because thats what most people run. Hit up ur local muffler shop for a 3in x 4in(diameter) exhuast tube, to install the 6637 to stock intake tube. Keep the stock box assy for when its time to smog the beast.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks guys,

So does anyone have any CFM numbers for the AIS? There's so many damn threads out there, most are heavy on opinion (seat of the pants this, sounds like that, whoosh, bang, fart) and not so much on facts.

I located the Donaldson filter used in the AIS but no CFM data for it just dirt holding capacity which is huge, nearly 2 pounds. The improved stock filter, FA1750 holds nearly a pound, which is sufficient for a highway jock like me...Then there's the AIS housing itself, how much is that designed to flow? I've read many people have problems with the restriction indicator pegging out when the AIS is only pulling air in from the snorkel and those folks had to resort to modifying their expensive air box to pull more air in from the fender well, much like what I've already done. Any of you had particular issue?

Before laying out 2 bills for a new AIS and possibly more for the fender well adapter I was hoping to locate some data which would help me with that decision.

I know lots of people like the 6637 mod, but many say it's loud, especially so when towing which is what we do a lot of and of course it isn't CARB compliant.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:20 PM

I wouldn't worry about the CFM on the AIS. Unless you're trying to make 500 HP+, it won't be an issue.

IIRC the rating you have on the 6637 is for it's original application, where it's enclosed. In an open application, like ours, it can flow over twice what it is "rated" for.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok thanks. It seems everywhere I look I read posts about cfm and cfm and more cfm. If cfm were that critical I would hope to find the data on how well or how poorly a stock air box and filter flowed as compared to any after market replacement being considered. Calculating from whence one started to where one ended up would be simple. I'll keep searching for the elusive data, albeit less aggressively and in the meantime just stick with the non-leaking stock air box and filter setup using the additional air inlet / fender mod.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM

the 6637 seems quieter than my s&b. especially when you give it gas and let off it seems to resonate in the enclosed box.
ive been with my dad when tows the 5'er and he has the 6637 and its not noisy at all.
if you dont excessive smoke or high egts i wouldnt worry about it
just make sure the stock box stays in one piece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.