Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

DP Tuner installed/few questions

3K views 47 replies 11 participants last post by  scheidt27 
#1 ·
This thing now has insane power but i have a few questions. When you punch it in the 80 and 120 well in all the settings it runs through first gear nice but then at the end it seems like the truck maybe defuels or the tranny is confused and hesitstes to shift into second and seems to bog down for a second then shifts and you go again. It also seems to maybe get confused between 2nd and third as well, it will downshift fine then upshift real quick and then back down, like its confused or something Jody has the tranny tuned so i dont need a valvebody. Do i need a Valve body? And then the OD light started flashing on the shifter as well. Whats going on here. Tranny slipping? Does my shifting need to be tweaked a little or is the tranny just too weak. it has 62000 unmolested miles. Also it shifts fine when you ease it down to the floor, it only happens when you puinch it. Any input would be great

#3 ·
The tranny may need some time to learn the new tunes. Especially if you a changing them quite often today

#10 · (Edited)
The 4R100 is controlled by the tuning and internal mechanics. It does not learn anything.

The 5R100 and Allison learn your driving habits and such.

[/QUOTE]when it shifts from 1st to 2nd its almost like its hangn on to first for just a second too long and then defuels. I dont know, i'll call jody monday [/QUOTE]
I agree you should call Jody about the shifting problem. He will get you squared away. When you say it defuels, what boost pressure are you seeing on your gauge?

If the OD light flashes you may have bigger problems and the chip just brought it to the fore front.

#7 ·
I love my dp tuner, best chip out there in my opinion.. and when I launched in boost my OD light was flashing and found out that it was from tq converter slipping, but hasnt done it since...

#8 ·
Something isn't right. I would try and pull codes.

#11 ·
Good to know Howard I guess it was your turn to teach me something new today. Thanks man

#16 ·
If you dont find anyone with a scanner hit up Auto Zone they will pull codes for free

#18 ·
Yes as far as i know

#21 ·
Not sure about JW but BTS runs about 4k installed at their shop

#22 ·
hi guys. new to the site but was reading this post and had a simular issue. my 01 was shifting goofy from 1st to 2nd. had the power valve installed in my tranny and now it dont miss a beat. racing it'll rifle through the gears and im gone. sled pulling it shifts perfectly and holds the gear (doesnt down shift and go back up agian) and lets the torque do its job. may help?????

#25 ·
#24 ·
Brian will ship transmissions just like John Wood will. So you do not have to go on a road trip unless you want to.

If you want to compare apples to apples, call Brian and ask what internal parts he uses as far as shafts and additional clutches. Then call John Wood and ask the same thing.

I can tell you what John uses but I don't want this to turn into a pissing match. But let me tell you, I paid $5100 for the 700hp guaranteed transmission, new radiator with the trans cooler in it and a very large trans cooler all installed. I had it built when my truck was 325hp. I just took it to him over thanksgiving week to retune since I have added some power and it did not shift the same. He tweaked it and did not charge me a dime and even bought lunch for my dad and I.

I have herd some of the same reports about Brian so you can not go wrong either way.

#27 ·
just got back from autozone, code reader found nothing, but the guy said theirs doesnt read anything with the tranny, abs, and such, just the engine. im thinkin he doesnt know what hes talking about. dont those things scan the whole system

#28 ·
Some autozone readers may not pull trans codes. he is correct. The one here does pull them though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.