Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

DP Tuner installed/few questions

3K views 47 replies 11 participants last post by  scheidt27 
#1 ·
This thing now has insane power but i have a few questions. When you punch it in the 80 and 120 well in all the settings it runs through first gear nice but then at the end it seems like the truck maybe defuels or the tranny is confused and hesitstes to shift into second and seems to bog down for a second then shifts and you go again. It also seems to maybe get confused between 2nd and third as well, it will downshift fine then upshift real quick and then back down, like its confused or something Jody has the tranny tuned so i dont need a valvebody. Do i need a Valve body? And then the OD light started flashing on the shifter as well. Whats going on here. Tranny slipping? Does my shifting need to be tweaked a little or is the tranny just too weak. it has 62000 unmolested miles. Also it shifts fine when you ease it down to the floor, it only happens when you puinch it. Any input would be great

#29 ·
If the OD light flashes it is a trans problem, not an engine problem.

I went to JW's shop and they installed everything. I watched him modify brand new parts, take new parts apart and change internals and throw stuff away. I probably drove him nuts with all the questions but he said it was OK, it is normal. He has towque convertors there that were cut apart so I could see the intrenals. We even cut my TC apart on the lathe and it was burnt up inside.

#30 ·
Howard are you running one of JW's modded to fit 6.0 converters?

#31 ·
Ok guys need some input/advice here on what to do tomorrow. Right now the chip is tuned so that there was no need for a valve body, should i have jody retune it for a valve body and see if that helps teh shifting or no. Also I think i will bring it in to a place up here called Boyer Trucks, they sell all lines of ford trucks, light, medium, and heavy and service them all. I trust them more than the dealer. Or should i have a code ran before i even talk to jody? Thanks in advance

#32 ·
Boyer is a very good place to take it. Well respected shop in the area. Which one of their shops are you takin it too

#33 ·
It would be the one in minneapolis off of broadway. according to the website that is the only one that services the light duty trucks. I hate to repeat my self but just got done drivin this thing again, it only acts funny when you punch it and hold it but not when you ease into it. Also when i was flippn through the tunes teh SES light came on when i put it in the stock mode. Im just gonna have to talk to jody tomorrow.

#35 ·
I would ask Jody to take the trans tuning out. Then maybe add a VB if it needs it.

I am running a billet convertor.

#39 ·
I would ask Jody to take the trans tuning out. Then maybe add a VB if it needs it.
Also which setting did the SES light come on? 80? 120? 140? It's likely that it's demanding too much ICP and tripping the HPOP code. Nothing to worry about if that's the case. At the very least you should try and find an auto parts store like Autozone. They have code readers that you can use for free. Then come back here and post your findings.

#37 ·
Some times the tuning takes a couple of trips back and forth to get it right for your truck. I know mine did. Talk to Jody and let us know what he says.

#40 ·
He went to Autozone no engine codes came up. Some of their scanners dont pull trans codes. Which he has some stored

#41 ·
on my most recent drive the SES light did come on but only when i flipped it back into the stock mode, then when i flipped it back to the custom tunes the light went back off. any idea?? Maybe i will run back to autozone

#42 ·
Autozone should be able to pull that code

#44 ·
Got the codes pulled today, the tranny was just a 1-2 shift error, there were a few other unrelated ones as well. Anyways the tranny is obviously not up to the task of the new found power, slips under WOT in the 120/140 settings, will a valve body help with this, im guessing not? Would it be a waste of money to put one in if im gonna be getting a new tranny next summer, or I may just have to take it easy in the 80 econo until i have enough money for a john wood or bts i guess! Anyone have any advice?

#45 ·
Pull the chip put and drive it like that for a day and then see if there are any codes. If there are not any codes, call Jody. If there are codes then your tranny is shot.
This is the next round of testing. woohoo.

#47 ·
yea this afternoon when driving it again i tripped another code tryin things , the od light flashed again. So theres another code. Im not sure if the tranny shop i went to is gonna like me coming back to use their scanner for free a few more times. I took it to a AAMCO place cuz i found a free diagnostic coupon and they had a snap on scanner they hooked up for free, the truck place i called wanted 206, f-that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.