Problem w/ truck after tuner install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problem w/ truck after tuner install

Just got a 2002 F-250 a couple weeks ago (new to diesels), and after cruising around these forums for a few weeks, I just had to go out and get a tuner. So I ordered an F5 DP tuner with a 60/tow, 80/econo, and 120/Race tune.

I went to install the tuner last night, and when I pulled the cover off the IDM i could clearly see the truck was chipped before. No biggy, I kinda expected this, but what I wasn't expecting was whoever cleaned the terminals before had sanded them down pretty far and had scratched the board fairly deep closest to the terminals.

I cleaned and inspected the terminals (everything looked like it should work), installed the tuner, and went out. I could instantly notice the power, though it seemed doggish until I hit 1800 rpm on the 80 econo tune (like I couldn't get up a hill in 4th gear like I could in stock). After a little it started to run great and I drove it around for awhile messing with the tunes. Took is out this morning to go to work, and it ran good except it would seem to "miss" every once in awhile. Left work and took it on the highway (still seemed to occasionally miss). I hit the 120 Race tune for a little (I just had too) then I noticed the check engine light. After this is started to run like poop. It would "buck and miss" and just felt like fuel was being cut in and out, I had a hard time getting the truck to move sometimes. I would press on the pedal and it would do nothing, then it would just take off. Went back to my garage, pulled the chip back out, cleaned the terminals again, and went to pull out of my garage. The truck did not idle right, so I goosed it a little, it missed and then died. I tried to start it but it would not fire. I pulled the chip back out and reinstalled the IDM. Still wouldn't start. Turns over but doesnt sound like ANY fuel is being injected.

I'm thinking my IDM is toast (and hopefully not my tuner). From what I can tell, these computer units are what drive the injectors on our trucks, hence why it is called an IDM instead of an ECU.

What else could I check? I'm really new to this truck and could use any help I could get. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, been working on my cars and race mustang for years, but I'm kinda sick to my stomach thinking about how to fix this truck I really know nothing about.

Sorry for the long post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2007, 10:38 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Your problem could be because the terminals are damaged on the PCM. Where you install the chip. Maybe damaged if iti was sanded down the way your describing. Causing the chip to have a bad contact.

Remove the chip and see if the miss is still there. Or to see if the truck runs better with out the chip. That will help eliminate one thing to check.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:52 AM

Yeah, I did remove it but it still won't start. I did listen for the fuel pump and it did seem to turn on.

I thought about it being a CPS but the motor only has 1200 miles on it and the sensor is new, though i do have an extra one in case.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:55 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Try the other cps, you already have an extra one. I don't think it will fix the problem. Is there a way you can get the truck scanned for codes.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:05 AM

I only have an OBDII scanner, which Im pretty sure won't scan this truck. Gonna go try a few things.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:07 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoytster View Post
I only have an OBDII scanner, which Im pretty sure won't scan this truck. Gonna go try a few things.
Your truck is OBDII. So that scanner may or may not pull codes from the PSD. I say this because some scanners can not read dtc's from our trucks.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:49 PM

Checked the truck with the scanner, came back "Pass - No Codes". I also replaced the CPS sensor and it didn't make a difference.

If I let the truck sit for awhile, I can get it to start and it runs perfect for the first 10 or so seconds, then it stumbles and dies. Sometimes I can restart it right afterwards, but it never runs for a long time.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

If it starts and runs for a short time, the PCM is not the culprit. I would be checking fuel pressure, oil pressure, high pressure oil pressure...something is not working properly.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Just to clarify...when you say you can get it to start and run for a short time...I assume that with the chip removed totally? The reason I ask is because that is sometimes the behavior of a DP "anti-theft" program too. If the chip is in the truck, but either the switch is removed or is not lighting up, the chip will be in position 0 which is usually "anti-theft". Make sure you do any diagnosing with the chip totally removed from the PCM.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:47 PM

Yeah, I have the chip removed completely from the IDM.

Guess I'll have to check the fuel and oil pressure tommorow. Are there any "help documents" that explain how to do this on these trucks?

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by Hoytster; 12-16-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.