Volant CAI ??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Volant CAI ???

Want to possibly replace my current K & N CAI with one that actually pulls cold air in from outside and not from under the engine hood as my current system does. Being new to the 7.3 PSD, is this something that I should concern myself with??? the reason I ask is because it seems that I have a lot of blow by covering turbo!!! thanks for the input.... I was considering the Volant from stealth auto...
http://www.stealth-automotive.com/in...roduct_id=1336

comments please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

pulling true " cold air " is useless on a diesel since it gets heated up by the turbo anyway so its not going to make as much difference as you may think
Old 02-13-2013, 05:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a Volant CAI. My thoughts on it... I've been told by a few people, that it filters GREAT. One of these people was the guy trying to sell me an aftermarket filter, once he knew what it was he said to not buy his (Amsoil) filters. Now for my complaint about it... I was less than impressed with the box/filter design. The filter is actually 1"+ WIDER than the opening on the box. Kind of a PITA. There's plenty of space around it, why they decided to do that is beyond me. Their videos of installations have some that the box is noticeably wider than the filter. And the intake tube is angled a little weird so if the clamp isn't on the filter in just the right place it will pop off as you're trying to tighten the clamp. It does look fairly nice under the hood though.

With that being said, the filters are expensive. $100 or so. XDP (Xtreme Diesel Performace) has the BEST price on them that I've found. ($66)

When I changed the filter, the intake tube was a little oily, but I didn't notice/feel any dirt in it. Haven't checked the turbo yet.

If you have the K&N unit I'm thinking of, you can pull their filter off and replace it with a 6637 without a problem. When you're driving, the intake temp is almost the same with a CAI or open filter type.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

is you KN an oil filter? if so then get rid of it. Oil filters kill diesel. Do a search for 6637 filter and thats what you should go with. Thats the best way to go
Old 02-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Re: Volant CAI ???

So you guys are saying keep my k&N intake and replace with a 6637 filter? Where can I get the best price on one? And thanks a ton! Lol! Get it F350? Man I am a nerd!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 PM

i think fleetfilter.com sells them cheap.
otherwise if you just want one go to napa and buy for more money lol
Old 02-13-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormorgan View Post
is you KN an oil filter? if so then get rid of it. Oil filters kill diesel. Do a search for 6637 filter and thats what you should go with. Thats the best way to go
I wouldn't go that far. Oiled filters can filter good, when properly oiled and cleaned. But yes, I agree that the 6637 is a better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1968 View Post
So you guys are saying keep my k&N intake and replace with a 6637 filter? Where can I get the best price on one? And thanks a ton! Lol! Get it F350? Man I am a nerd!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Yes. If you have the K&N I'm thinking you have (Do you have a model # or pics), the filter you have should have a 4" I.D. inlet, the same as a 6637. Make sure you double check that before buying a new filter... Some people claim the 6637 filter won't fit where the K&N is without modifying it.

If you decide to buy the filter at Napa, my local store can't find them under 6637. They needed: FIL 6637. I would recommend using the Donaldson B085011. Two reasons, it can be found cheaper, and it's water resistant. TONS of people running the Napa 6637 without problems though.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj Krawler View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Oiled filters can filter good, when properly oiled and cleaned. But yes, I agree that the 6637 is a better option.
Even properly oiled and cleaned you hear stories all the time about how the diesel engine sucks the oil off the filter and pivit the turbo wheel. too much air flow for an oil filter IMO
Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

but... we are both agreeing that the 6637 is a better option so thats the important part. napa has them and if I recall correctly napa has sales every march on air filters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cold air intake, k&n, s&b, volant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.