Looking for my lost boost! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for my lost boost!

I am hoping to get some ideas as to why my set-up isn't making the proper boost. Truck is a 2001 reg cab longbed 2wd 7.3. We just installed some Stage 1 Casserly injectors, GT38R turbo, new glow plugs, ect. DP F6 tuner set to econo 60 tune. Jody says boost should be 36-38psi on this tune. After adjusting the wastegate arm as tight as I could get it, the max I am seeing is 28, but usually only 25 or so. EGTs are out of control as well due to the lack of boost that the tune is designed for. I was able to hit 30psi on one pass, and the EGTs stabilized. I have checked the intake system for leaks (holds 40psi+ no problem). I know the turbo / injectors are good as they are brand new. I don't hear / feel any exhaust leaks. I noticed the IPC sensor is leaking, could that cause any issues? I am really out of ideas. The transmission or TC is on its way out, as I can feel it lock up an inappropriate times, and the shift points are not right. Could that have anything to do with low boost somehow? Anyway just looking for some things to check, I would really like to get this dialed in this weekend. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 06:57 PM

Up pipe leak look for black soot.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Premium Starfish Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^^ What he said.
Plus, look at the boots, IC.
There's a couple threads on how to chase and check for boost leaks. But the 'factory' up-pipe is usually the first culplrit.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if the ICP has oil in the connection, then your trucks' defueling because of the wrong info its seeing. Replace the ICP and bet ur boost psi increases.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
if the ICP has oil in the connection, then your trucks' defueling because of the wrong info its seeing. Replace the ICP and bet ur boost psi increases.
If it is leaking from the oring don't replace the whole thing replace just the oring.

1994 - 2003 Oil rail O-rings for the High Pressure oil rail ports in the engine valley
Old 02-11-2013, 05:57 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Your username and avatar made me
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the tips guys!

I replaced the ICP and harness, didn't seem to help. It was a oily mess!!

I got up pipe doughnut gaskets to go in, hopefully that will help. I do hear a slight exhaust leak when I first fire up the truck in the morning. I don't notice it once its warm. Hopefully the up pipe doughnuts will fix this.

I pressurized the intake system as best I could with my little compressor. It held 20+ PSI with no leaks that I could hear. I couldn't get it it past that as it was going out the exhaust from the open valves in some cylinders.

I will report back once the doughnuts are installed
Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 AM

The best way to fix up pipes is with international bellowed up pipes. If you can't afford them replace the donuts with felpro 8194 it is a larger gasket and will help seal it. Make sure you get new bolts the old bolts are going to be rusty. If you break one and don't have new bolts you will be kicking yourself. Also PB Blaster lots of it, if they won't come out let it sit with PB on it and come back to it. They are easy to strip.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishsd View Post
The best way to fix up pipes is with international bellowed up pipes. If you can't afford them replace the donuts with felpro 8194 it is a larger gasket and will help seal it. Make sure you get new bolts the old bolts are going to be rusty. If you break one and don't have new bolts you will be kicking yourself. Also PB Blaster lots of it, if they won't come out let it sit with PB on it and come back to it. They are easy to strip.
Got a link as to where to get the international bellowed up pipes? Thanks!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 AM

I know he just got a shipment in on Friday. He was out of stock for a while. These are the cheapest I have found.

Riffraff Diesel: International Bellowed Up-pipe Kit 99.5-03
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.