Coolant filter question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant filter question

I just had a coolant filter installed on my 02 f250.
The discharge of the filter goes into the degas bottle, just like the one sold on dieselsite. (The mechanic I use does his own, very similar to the one sold on dieselsite)

My question is....at idle I don't see coolant discharging into the degas bottle. It looks like there is a baffle or something right inside the bottle where the hose goes in. I'm not sure what that is there for.

So I am wondering, should I see an increase in flow as rpm's increase? I know that is probably a really dumb question but something I wasn't sure of. In my mind I was going to see a steady stream of coolant flowing into the bottle all the time.

I may not be seeing the discharge due to my degas bottle is so hard to see through. Got a new one on the way....its kind of sludgy toward the bottom.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Even at idle, i see a stream. Yes, flow increases as rpms increase. How long has it been on? Filter may be stopped up
Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Check it out during the dark hours by idling the truck with a flashlight backlighting the degas opening and you should see a steady stream.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The filter was on for only a few hours when I first looked at it. Actual runtime was probably only minutes.

I used a good flashlight at night, at first I thought I wasn't seeing flow since my degas bottle is so discolored. However, I took a small piece of wire and pushed through the tube and that is when I discovered the baffle at the entrance. Do all bottles have this? I have been looking for pictures, that seems like the kind of thing that you would have to see in person though.

Tomorrow I guess I will take the discharge line off and put it in a bucket, get someone to crank it and watch for what comes out.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Im 99% sure mine does not have a baffle. You have to run the system for more than a few minutes to get a good flow. Get the engine nice and warm, see what happens. Feel the filter too as it will be hot from the coolant filtering through.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgTires4295 View Post
Im 99% sure mine does not have a baffle. You have to run the system for more than a few minutes to get a good flow. Get the engine nice and warm, see what happens. Feel the filter too as it will be hot from the coolant filtering through.
Thats kinda what I go by. If its hot then its flowin.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It was very warm and everything at operating temp. Tomorrow I will do some further investigating and report back. I will try to take a picture of the baffle also. Maybe we can get to the bottom of that.
Thanks for all the input.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:51 PM

I have always wondered about this setup after seeing it installed because of the plumbing. Nothing is stopping the coolant from bypassing the filter. The International water pump #1831676C92 has a spin on filter port included and the pump itself is a lot better than OEM. The only "bad" thing is that a few minor modifications must be made to use it, but the benefits are well worth the work. The pump is made for the International 444 (same base engine as 7.3 Powerstroke) which is why it is not a bolt-in only pump.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:03 AM

mines' flow'n at idle. Probably how its "T'd" into the line, going to degas bottle. Mines a straight shot to bottle, where i've seen the "T" intersects the straight shot...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.