Turbo and other upgrades??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo and other upgrades???

Got some questions.

I have '01 7.3L that I want to do some upgrades to. I am currently in Afghanistan so I have lots of time to dream about my truck. I don't want to turn it into some massive money pit of a race truck or anything. Just give more power all around and want to do it right. I want a new turbo, intercooler (with all the new tubes), exhaust, and probably a PD F6 tuner with some stage one injectors. The problem is I don't know what I am missing and whose stuff I should use. Been thinking of a Banks PowerPack system but I hear allot of bad things about Banks.

Let the suggestions flow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 04:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Casserly Stage 1's
Terminator HPOP
GTP38R Turbo
Stock intercooler will be fine
Custom tunes your choice (PHP;TDP, Tony Wildman; BDP, beans) just to name a few

then your gonna need some trans mods to support that power and gauges/intake/exhaust
Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 AM
Premium Member

Thanks. I have already put a some change in the tranny. About 4k. should be about as tough as I need. I also put a Class II billet torque converter in it and am running the Mobile one full synthetic to go along with the rest of the work. Figured I would fix that weak link before I even started with the engine.

I understand why the Banks tuners are far from the best, but why is the rest of their parts so frowned on? I like the idea of buying a bunch of parts that are made to work together. And does anyone have thoughts on their Turbos?

I really honestly appreciate it guys!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 AM

a lot of the banks parts can only be used with other banks parts like there exhaust power elbow can only be used with there exhaust, and a lot of it is just bling not really giving you any good hp for the money.
I would recommend
a 5in or 4in mbrp exhaust
a t-4 style turbo of your choice with appropriate up pipes
intercooler kind of a waste but get a 6.0 intercooler if you just want it.
stage one seems like a waste when you can get stage 2 for similar price I would go with rosewood but there are many other companies that make good injectors.
17position php hydra chip (if you go with stage 2's this will give you many more power levels to choose from and update able via usb port)
a t500 hpop is never a bad idea or splurge for a srp1.1
and gauges

just my opinions but you will get more for your money in my opinion that way and will probably end up spending less.

Last edited by ken6881; 01-30-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

Thank you! That is the stuff I'm looking for. I have been looking at the Garrett 38R for my turbo, is this within the scope of what you think I should need.. I have always like Garrett Turbos. I am having a hard time finding up pipes though...
Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

There are many routes you can go to get what you want.

As far as the turbo goes... The GTP38R is a drop in turbo that will works great. If you are looking to expand your options, you can get a T4 style turbo and setup.

There really is no need to get a different intercooler. The stock one works just fine.

Any 4" exhaust system will work great for you. We carry Diamond Eye and MBRP.

As for injectors... We carry Full Force injectors and we have a lot of happy customers running them. You can go with stage 1's or stage 2's to get where you want. Stage 2's will open the doors for more power later if you want it.

We have a few different options for tuning. You can get a chip(F5 or F6), or you can get one of our Infinity programmers. The Infinity will do all you need and more. It will tune, monitor, datalog, read/clear DTC's, play media, test(buzz, cylinder contribution, glow plug, KOEO/KOER), and more. You can check out all of our options HERE.

We can get you setup with a package deal including all of the products you listed too if you want.

Shoot me an e-mail or PM if you have any other questions.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim250 View Post
Thank you! That is the stuff I'm looking for. I have been looking at the Garrett 38R for my turbo, is this within the scope of what you think I should need.. I have always like Garrett Turbos. I am having a hard time finding up pipes though...
38r would be fine choice it uses stock up pipes or bellowed I assume your having a hard time finding bellowed ones?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, I was talking about bellowed pipes, which I found on the dp website... I think that this DP site is going to be the worst thing that has ever happened to my bank account....

I really do appreciate the advice and hope I don't annoy anyone but I will pick as many brains as I can.

With these mods would I need new head studs?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:34 AM

Head studs are a good preventive measure I would personally get a set but probably not required if your not going to beat on it.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 AM
Premium Member

I would imagine that installing those is quite the undertaking...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.