Need help. Best turbo upgrade for 7.3l - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Need help. Best turbo upgrade for 7.3l

Ey have a 2000 f250. Need to know what turbo to put on truck. Looking for max power. I have stage 2 injectors. Stage 2 meth spray. Banks intercooler and pipes. Banks turbo back exhaust n intake. I also have a raptor 150psi adjustable pump. What turbo to get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 AM

Need help. Best turbo upgrade for 7.3l

I have done a lot of reading on this myself I've found that the gt38r turbo has the best turn out for a direct bolt on but if your studded and can fork out the money to buy the h2e conversion setup which is bad a$$ but just depends on how deep you wanna get into it....

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If I do the h2e do I need to do head studs? Didn't think the 7.3 had problems with that. And i keep reading people doing their rods. with these teo turbos would that be something else i have to do. also I have read that h2e you get it customized. Who do you get to do that? Price is no issue for me for that turbo just don't want to fork out money for one and regret not getting the other one lol. Another thing I wanted ask to was since I have done my injectors it is way louder. Could this be due to a weak hpop? Or just the way it should sound
Old 01-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

For a direct bolt on I would go with a gtp38r. I wish I had gone with a t4 kit so that I would have more turbos to choose from. I do like my 38r though for being relatively cheap and easy to install compared to a t4 style turbo.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The easiest route to go is the GTP38R. It is a ball bearing, direct bolt-on turbo. It does have it's limitations however.

The other was to go is to use a T4 style turbo. With this setup you will need different up-pipes. There are a lot of turbo options once you switch over to this setup.

Here is a link to all of the turbos we carry for the 7.3L... Turbochargers - Turbo and Charge Air Upgrades - 1994.5 - 2003 Powerstroke 7.3L Truck - Ford Powerstroke

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If I decide to go with the t4 setup should I go with the h2e? N if so should I get it customized like I keep hearing people say or just go with the off the shelf version. I also don't know where to get it customized.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I kinda want to go with the t4 setup with the h2e but would want it customized And I don't know if the setup I have can handle it. Someone was talking about head studs. Would I need to do them? N what about my stock rods can they handle it?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbaan View Post
If I decide to go with the t4 setup should I go with the h2e? N if so should I get it customized like I keep hearing people say or just go with the off the shelf version. I also don't know where to get it customized.
The H2E is a good setup. You can just go with the off the shelf version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbaan View Post
I kinda want to go with the t4 setup with the h2e but would want it customized And I don't know if the setup I have can handle it. Someone was talking about head studs. Would I need to do them? N what about my stock rods can they handle it?
Since you have a 2000 you will have forged rods. They should handle the power just fine.

Head studs are always a good addition. Do some research into what other people have done with similar setup's. There is a plethora of knowledge on all of these forums.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Premium Starfish Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ATS is running a special in GPT-38r's right now - Go look in the Sponsors section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.