6637 with k&n intake question... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 02:40 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 6637 with k&n intake question...

I have a question i know the 6637 filter will fit the k&n tube but will the 6637 filter fit with the k&n heat shield installed? because i would like to keep that part if possible.If so does anybody have a pic? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 03:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nope , wont fit. Order the Amsoil filter. Just did the same on mine and the Amsoil looks identical to the K & N except blue. Its cleanable , and its dry , also has the mounting stud and the filter minder insert spot as well.

Part number EAAU-4095
Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 AM
Behavior Modificationist

Not to burst any bubbles but the K&N heat shield does nothing. It doesnt seal the intake off into its own compartment and I doubt its even worth entertaining unless you have a monster Zoodad mod. I left mine in the box and kept the 6637. Any attempts at making the intake air cooler should be directed (only my opinion) towards the intercooler. Once the air is compressed by the turbo, it heats up and is cooled only by the intercooler. While seemingly good efforts on K&Ns part, I looked at the heat shield as a waste and a cheap way for the company to increase the price for their product while keeping actual material costs down.

In the end, the 6637 is a proven product that I'll continue to support and have installed on my K&N intake tube.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:51 AM

^^^^ what he said. ^^^^
Old 01-25-2013, 05:34 AM

No bubbles burst here , been both routes on 3 superduty's. With my current set-up the K&N was already on there and IMO the "set-up" looks better than the 6637 mod. As far as keeping it as a heat shield i totally agree , not doing much. So why not use a cleanable Amsoil filter , that bolts into an existing set-up , instead of hacking the compartment up more to fit in a $40 filter that needs replacing ? The 6637 is great if your modding on a budget , but you will never convince me it looks " nice " tucked under the hood. Not attacking in any way as i said , i have run the 6637 on other trucks and it worked great. To the OP , to answer your ? again the 6637 will not fit with the current set-up. If you remove it , sure , it works great , if you want to keep your current setup and change the filter to something that also works and is not a K&N then get the EAAU-4095. Or keep the K&N , lots of bad juju floating the internet but i have seen no actual data. I had the K&N on the new motor for 30k and pulled probably 10 times to check the intake tube and never once in wiping inside with a clean white cloth did i see the first hint of dust but decided to jump on the bandwagon as a new filter seemed like cheaper insurance.
Also the k&N on the tahoe kept throwing codes for the MAF sensor , clean the sensor and code gone , drive it again and code back. Same thing over and over until i went back to stock filter and no more problems. That alone is what caused me to pull away from the k&N all together.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagle1 View Post
No bubbles burst here , been both routes on 3 superduty's. With my current set-up the K&N was already on there and IMO the "set-up" looks better than the 6637 mod. As far as keeping it as a heat shield i totally agree , not doing much. So why not use a cleanable Amsoil filter , that bolts into an existing set-up , instead of hacking the compartment up more to fit in a $40 filter that needs replacing ? The 6637 is great if your modding on a budget , but you will never convince me it looks " nice " tucked under the hood. Not attacking in any way as i said , i have run the 6637 on other trucks and it worked great. To the OP , to answer your ? again the 6637 will not fit with the current set-up. If you remove it , sure , it works great , if you want to keep your current setup and change the filter to something that also works and is not a K&N then get the EAAU-4095. Or keep the K&N , lots of bad juju floating the internet but i have seen no actual data. I had the K&N on the new motor for 30k and pulled probably 10 times to check the intake tube and never once in wiping inside with a clean white cloth did i see the first hint of dust but decided to jump on the bandwagon as a new filter seemed like cheaper insurance.
Also the k&N on the tahoe kept throwing codes for the MAF sensor , clean the sensor and code gone , drive it again and code back. Same thing over and over until i went back to stock filter and no more problems. That alone is what caused me to pull away from the k&N all together.
i currently have the k&n "set up" on my truck that was installed by the po. ive worried about the so called "dusting" issue also ever since i bought the truck mainly because of the horror storys. i have taken mine apart and found some oil residue due to mainly an over oiled filter im sure. The only reason i havent changed it is because the 6637 is not the most pleasing to the eye and having to buy one more $40 filter to service. im glad you brought up the amsoil filter and will be buying it this week.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 AM
Behavior Modificationist

The oil residue is from the crank case ventilation. If you take your filter off and crank the truck, you'll see the small puffs being sucked into the turbo. Oil residue in the intake is absolutely normal. I did a writeup on my K&N adventures but I won't start into that
Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 AM

Thanks guys and i know the k&n heat shield don't do a damn thing lol but i already have it on the truck.I'm gonna try the amsoil EAAU-4095 since it will fit.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgTires4295 View Post
The oil residue is from the crank case ventilation. If you take your filter off and crank the truck, you'll see the small puffs being sucked into the turbo. Oil residue in the intake is absolutely normal. I did a writeup on my K&N adventures but I won't start into that
im well aware of the crank vent, im speaking of the red oil from the k&n unless my truck can turn the motor oil red. Of course it could be the tranny fluid im sucking up from all the dodges leaking
Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 AM

hey guys, so ive been looking into doing a DIY intake myself on my 02' 350 and just trying to figure out what will give me the best actual function. Im not concerned with what "looks" better, however i dont want it to look like a trash can under the hood. i currently have the stock intake setup, and i am on the fence between doing the 6637 filter DIY or something similar to post #3 that "marty" wrote on this thread. >>> DIY Intake

if what i use my truck for is a factor (assuming it is), its mostly a daily driver for both city and highway, but in the summer i tow my boat fairly often and also travel through some real dusty dirt roads so maybe a filter cover would be in consideration.

any and all input, opinions, and advice is welcome and much appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.