Newby need help with programmer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newby need help with programmer

I'm brand new to diesel's and new to this forum. I recently purchased a 2001 F-250 7.3, 4dr, single axle 4x4 from a buddy who has had it for almost seven years. He has many mods to the motor including 5" exhaust, cold air intake, trans cooler, tower guages, and an Edge Evolution programmer to name a few. It has always gotten exceptional fuel mileage in town and on the highway- empty and towing trailers and RV's.

Since I bought it from him a few weeks ago, it seems the mpg has gone to crap. He was regularly getting 17-19 mpg in town in Extreme mode (hand calculated). Occasionally 23+ on the highway empty. I have filled up several times since I bought it and got 16+ empty on the highway once and am getting about 12-13 in town on two other fill ups. Ended up at 10+ mpg after hauling my 8000+ lb camper in tow mode. This is very unusual for this truck in our experience. I just changed out the fuel filter and cleaned the K&N yesterday.

The only thing we see that is happening different is that the Edge programmer seems to be "going out." The screen is becoming hard to read and I am wondering if it is not acutally putting the truck back in extreme mode and defaulting to Tow or Stock. When driving daily and I turn the key and wait to start, the truck makes the "hmrr" sound as if the programmer is still hooked up and trying to adjust programs.

Is it possible for the programmer to be "bad" and not adjusting the truck's settings? It is about 7 years old. I heard that these units often last only two or three years even though they offer a five year warrantee according to one source.

In simple and plain terms, by product name and model, would there be a better option for a programmer than the Edge products? I am only interested in getting power and (a little) mileage while towing my camper and getting better mileage in town than my gas F-150 (which shouldn't be hard to do). Any advice for this newby would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance! Sorry for such a long message...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah thats wierd. alot of guys on here dont like the edge stuff.. it sounds like its going out though. 23 on the hwy is crazy good to me! i ve had mine for a year with intake and exaust and 35"s and the best ive ever seen is 11mpg. usually around 9 or so and 7 towing. i just got 37"s and a superchips programmer and it has more power now but not really any better gas mileage. i would prolly kill someone for 16mph on the freeway lol
Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Calculating differently could lead to discrepancies if nothing else has changed. The 23 seems a bit high quite frankly.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:01 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Lariat View Post
Calculating differently could lead to discrepancies if nothing else has changed. The 23 seems a bit high quite frankly.
+1 on this. The absolute highest I've seen on a 7.3 was 19MPG, & that was a 1 shot deal for whatever reason. Are these numbers by pencil/paper? F to E?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Could be different driving styles...most guys like to hear the truck and I'm guilty as most others when I get a new truck the mpg's suffer until the excitement wears off
Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Premium Starfish Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I got 22mpg on my road trip down to AZ last year.
Stock tune 4in exhaust from the turbo out, and AFE Stage 1 filter + ZooDad mod.
So it can be done without tunes.
Nearly made it on 1 tank of fuel from Denver to Flagstaff AZ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
chips, mpg, performance, programmers, tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.