Lockers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lockers

what do i need to do to put lockers all the way around? do i need to intall something like the Detroit locker kit? I don't know too much about how to set this up. What do i gain from this? what about locking hubs alll the way around. i guess if i do this i would need something more than just hubs Right.? I've seen this set up and want to do this to my truck, Its not my only vechile and i slowly want to build this thing to what i want. I want it to be sorta like a rescue and recovery vechile. That way when i get a call in the middle of the night from a buddy thats stuck i can go help. LOL thanks to all..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 03:27 PM

i would say either a detroit locker in the rear or true-trac.
then just a detroit true-trac in the front.
then some better front locking hubs warn. mile marker etc.
as far as installing them. i think it takes a few special tools and you need to know the correct spacing to install the carriers.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:29 PM

For the rear, any quality locker should be fine. If you plan on driving it on the street, the tires may wear down faster. Front, ARB or other selectable locker. If it's just an off road toy, then you could go full lock in the front too.

x2 on special tools. Setting up gears properly isn't cheap.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:28 AM

Can you just do the rear or do you have to both front & rear, is it just point less to just do the rear? I'm just playing with this ideal of setting up my truck the way i want to. i'm just looking for different ways of doing so. So i guess if i do this i better just leave it up to the pro's. Because i don't really have the knowledge when it comes to that. and your are right this stuff is not cheap.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT View Post
Can you just do the rear or do you have to both front & rear, is it just point less to just do the rear? I'm just playing with this ideal of setting up my truck the way i want to. i'm just looking for different ways of doing so. So i guess if i do this i better just leave it up to the pro's. Because i don't really have the knowledge when it comes to that. and your are right this stuff is not cheap.
There's quite a few running just a rear locker. Just make you you rotate the tires often or the rears will wear down quicker. I think there is a big difference in traction with just the rear locked. Or in my case, when the LS starts working. If you want maximum traction, you'll need a front locker. If you plan on driving the truck on the street you should have a selectable locker in the front.

IMO, if you're not changing your gearing, I'd leave the front alone for now and see if it works for you. If you're changing the gearing, it would save you labor to have it all done at once.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
if you have plenty of money, look into ARBs front and rear. i would do arb in the front for sure. also, if you plan to go offroad and aren't mechanically inclined, i would look into dynatrac free spin kit. with this kit, if you broke an axle it wouldn't leave you stranded.

tj krawler had a good idea, if you aren't changing ratio, then i would just do the rear and then see from there.

also, find a good, reputable shop(i would look for an offroad shop) in your area to install the lockers
Old 01-22-2013, 11:51 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT View Post
How often do you loose traction at the front tires? I know leaving at 20psi of boost my front grips and the rear is what doesn't want to. I wouldn't even waste the money to put a locker in the front unless it's a hardcore offroad toy.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:30 AM

Thanks guys, gives me lots to think about. What i'm going to do is turn the tag into DMV and get it all cleaned up. and put the truck in my shop. and start to build this thing like i want to. might take me a year or so. Depending on funds, but for once i'd like to have it done right and everything i want on it. Pro ject truck. Basicilly from the ground up. Its got a lift, exhaust, intake, programmer, Now i want to do everything else, I like the ideal of a selectable locker, front & rear And yes there are plenty o offroad shops around here. most of the stuff i can do. but not gearing, I'll leave that to the pros. any ideals on what else to do to this truck would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 02:48 PM

If you go selectable, ARB is really the only way to go. Plus you have an air compressor for filling tires or air tools.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 PM

Lockers

If you put a locker up from your gona want to get better stub shafts and mile marker manual locking hubs, there stronger then the warn hubs (and cheaper). And make the factory locking hubs look like a china made part. And I'd get a air locker for the rear, give a excuse to get a on-board air system, and that really comes in handy!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.