MBRP 4" turboback install issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MBRP 4" turboback install issues

I bought the MBRP 6200 muffler delete with 4" downpipe back.

I'm having a heck of a time getting the pipes to line up with the hangers. The hanger on the front pipe coming off the downpipe is above the rubber hanger. When we put the rest of the pipe in the 2nd hanger is about 6" off from the rubber hanger. Am I doing something wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 04:42 PM

is it a duel set up you may have the right side on the left and the left on the right
Old 01-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Serving Our Country!

It's not a dual. It's standard.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You're not doing anything wrong (if you Are, I did too )..

MBRP fit just Sucks. I don't know if they were always this bad or the fixture they're using today is out of alignment but, here's what I had to do..

Unbolt the front hanger support rod from the framerail and flip it over (it probably need to have a piece spliced into it, to make it longer, but this worked so I left it. The rod they welded on the midpipe was Clearly in the wrong place. As for the back, depending on the cab & body style, you may have to cut/eliminate a pipe to get the right length. But the T-hanger, at the back of the muffler (if you have a muffler), on mine is jammed over to one side to clear the shock & spare and have the tip in the right place.

I also cut that pipe, that goes over the axle, so the tip sit back under the truck farther (I think they're trying to advertize with the MBRP logo on the tip by having it stick out so far)
Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

I just read so many stories that say it went on with no problems and the downpipe was the hassle. The downpipe took us 30 seconds to get in place and about 2 minutes to get it in position and the band clamp back on it.

Then there's folks like me that had so many issues. I wish I had a welder so I could cut the hangers off and reweld in the right place. Gonna be fun I guess.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I thought the same thing "I'll just reweld the rods on the pipe in the right place" (I do a bunch of TIG welding) but, then I'd be Voiding the Warranty I'm sure...

So, I moved the trucks hangers instead.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 AM
Serving Our Country!

The front one was the biggest one that was off. It just seems way too tall unless the pipe is gonna hang way down but then the rest won't line up.

Oh well. Just keep playing with it.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had issues with fitting up the same exhaust system. I thought it was way off and all messed up.
I loosely installed everything and then adjusted as I went back from the turbo.
I thought it was messed up then realized it fit. The mid pipe hanger fit fine the only adjustment I had to make was to the pipe just in front of the muffler. I removed one bolt from the oem hanger, so I would drop down 2inches or so.
Those were the only two fit up problems. Other then that it was smooth, got it done by myself in about 1.5 hours.
I can post some pics of the finished install if you like?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:45 AM

Mine fit pretty good I thought. Not perfect but close.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donruff View Post
I had issues with fitting up the same exhaust system. I thought it was way off and all messed up.
I loosely installed everything and then adjusted as I went back from the turbo.
I thought it was messed up then realized it fit. The mid pipe hanger fit fine the only adjustment I had to make was to the pipe just in front of the muffler. I removed one bolt from the oem hanger, so I would drop down 2inches or so.
Those were the only two fit up problems. Other then that it was smooth, got it done by myself in about 1.5 hours.
I can post some pics of the finished install if you like?

I would like some pics. I was telling my buddy...man I don't know why people say this is such a long task! The downpipe was easy the rest should be cake. I spoke way too soon! We spent about 2 hours or so trying to get it all lined up and it just got too cold laying on the concrete. Removing the old pipe was easy. I just had one dull sawzall blade and didn't have any spares so trying to cut the downpipe, and rear exhaust with a die grinder and 30 gallon compressor took some time to get it cut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.